What Are These Weird Little Yagi Antennas I See All Over Town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The county next to me has a lot of these on 12-foot poles everywhere. The light green box says
"MANATEE COUNTY SEWAGE PUMPING STATION" on it. What are the antennas for?

yagi3ph1.jpg

yagi5on1.jpg

mancow

Database Admin
They relay information about the water system. I hear ours in the 173 Mhz area.

w0fg

Telemetry to warn the operators of a pump failure so they can fix it before the crap comes back up your drains.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
UHF SCADA. Do a Google search for SCADA and you'll find a wealth of info on it.

It's basically a Motorola data telemetry system used to monitor water flow, open and close valves, their state, etc. If you wonder if it can be decoded, yes, but each system is setup specific to the operator.

It's in use heavily by both power and water companies. Often for irrigation control also.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Scada isn't limited to just UHF, the beam shown is his pictures is obviously for VHF.

wayne_h said:

It's basically a Motorola data telemetry system used to monitor water flow, open and close valves, their state, etc. If you wonder if it can be decoded, yes, but each system is setup specific to the operator.

It's in use heavily by both power and water companies. Often for irrigation control also.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
If you notice, they also have red strobe lights on the top of the little green box. If there is a malfunction, the light will flash. In my area, most of them also have an alarm and a sign on them that says to call 911 if the light is flashing or the alarm is going off. They will then make sure the public works dept is notified.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
ve3nsv said:
Scada isn't limited to just UHF, the beam shown is his pictures is obviously for VHF.
No, it's not limited to UHF. It's all over the place. But good catch on the yagi band, got my size refs off.

Nasby

Why would anyone want to "decode" these transmitters or monitor them in the first place?

N4JNW

snjct2000 said:
Why would anyone want to "decode" these transmitters or monitor them in the first place?

The same reason some get thier jimmies off monitoring fast food drive thru's, or GMRS walkie talkies..

Because we are curious as to what they sound like. We are curious as to what we CAN hear.. Who knows, you might pick up an informative tidbit of information. What IF you had the means to decode the telemetry that these things transmit? You could essentially tell for yourself where the sewer and water trouble was at in your city. Or, you could find out when your buddy on the other side of the city is going to have his commode overflow when he flushes it. :lol:

Big_Ears

There was a time where most Utilities telemetry data is sent via fixed point (dedicated landline). Radio telemetry was used when a landline was impossible or impractical. Nowadays with the opening of the 800-900 Mhz (and higher) bands, along with cheaper hardware costs it no longer the norm.

My local Utilities is testing WI-FI water meters, no more walking from meter to meter. Just drive down the block and you have read all of them!

N

N_Jay

wayne_h said:

SCADA is not Motorola specific.
It is "Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition".
Motorola's product is MOSAC, and before that INTRAC.
'There are many other SCADA systems out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.