Whs 150

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesiandabe

Hi everyone. This has nothing to do with scanning but its about 2 meter ham. My dad give me an old relm whs 150 vhf radio that he had when he was a fire fighter. With some playing around I found out that it can transmit from 144-148 mhz. This is what I has hoping for seeing that Im gonna get my ham license soon. http://www.repeater-builder.com/relm-regency-wilson/whs150-2.txt this site explains how to program but there is something that Im not sure about. Its says to use the ctcss code to program the ctcss tone. Then it says to program the DTMF tone. Its has no code to leave it blank so I dont know what to do. I turned my pro-97 to the amature band search and found an active frequency so I programed that into the whs 150 with the ctcss tone that it said it was using and then I just pushed some buttons for the DTMF tone. I think I put in A000, but anyway, its started reciving on that active frequency. I have no way to tell if its transmitting right though.

dwh367

jesiandabe said:
Hi everyone. This has nothing to do with scanning but its about 2 meter ham. My dad give me an old relm whs 150 vhf radio that he had when he was a fire fighter. With some playing around I found out that it can transmit from 144-148 mhz. This is what I has hoping for seeing that Im gonna get my ham license soon. http://www.repeater-builder.com/relm-regency-wilson/whs150-2.txt this site explains how to program but there is something that Im not sure about. Its says to use the ctcss code to program the ctcss tone. Then it says to program the DTMF tone. Its has no code to leave it blank so I dont know what to do. I turned my pro-97 to the amature band search and found an active frequency so I programed that into the whs 150 with the ctcss tone that it said it was using and then I just pushed some buttons for the DTMF tone. I think I put in A000, but anyway, its started reciving on that active frequency. I have no way to tell if its transmitting right though.
I'm not familiar with your particular radio, but it looks like this site looks like it should walk you through the programming steps from start to finish: http://billscommsol.com/whs150pr.htm.

As far as the DTMF function, it is more than likely used for "selective calling" and can be disabled via the programming instructions. Any DTMF tones you would need to send could be done manually via the keypad.

Although your radio is not type accepted for the license free MURS frequencies (as it's too widebanded), my suggestion would be to scan through them and find one that has little or no activity. Then program your radio to low power (1w) and enter that frequency into it. Use your scanner to check to see that it is transmitting a carrier and whether it has modulation. This would probably best be done very late at night or very early in the morning to prevent interference to users that are using type accepted radios.

After a quick test, I would then strongly refrain from transmitting with it any further until your have the proper license or the proper radio to do so. I hope this was of some help.

Good luck,
David H.

Status
Not open for further replies.