Interesting Find "Bank Robbery"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLeeHarley

Yesterday I was scanning the local Boise, Idaho LEO channels and something got my attention. They were talking about them receiving signals like in a lojac system. They were calling them Gold, Red & Blue signals and were talking about the strength of the signals. They were saying receiving 1 bar 3 bars and being maxed out at 5 bars. They were after a Bank robber. So I figured out they were talking about a transmitter they put in the money. After about 30 mins. They were closing in. Finely they came to an area about 5 miles from me on the freeway. They were looking for a white male about 30 with a shaved head. The first car they came upon was an old man. the next was two young kids. Then as he was transmitting he pulled along side of the right suspect. All of a sudden the cop yelled he's pointing his gun! The next transmission was an officer requesting permission for a PIT maneuver. He received it. Next transmission was a request for EMT's. The dispatcher inquired if the pursuit was still in progress. The cop said next "No maam' self-inflicted gunshot". Now when people ask me why I scan I’ll have something to say! LOL

Just because the police use a "clear" frequency to talk about how they are tracking a suspect-- its not always a good idea to divulge how they tracked him...

Yes.. Now you can tell eveyone that asks you why you scan you can say " I heard about a guy who shot himself!" That should go over well.

CLB

925 said:
Just because the police use a "clear" frequency to talk about how they are tracking a suspect-- its not always a good idea to divulge how they tracked him...

True. Now police all across the nation won't be able to chase robbery suspects. DLeeHarley let the cat out of the bag.

Hmm I think thats streching the point a bit...

The fact that that specific state/area uses that forum of technology is now in the open. It could have been a well kept secret (While still availbable to the public im sure) it is now quite obvious to any one who uses to wish the use the information for devious purposes.

One less place that has the information available just makes it that much harder for somone to figure it out.

D

DaveNF2G

RF tracking technology is no secret.

Bank robbers still set off dye packs, despite the fact that they've been widely known for decades. I wouldn't worry about tracking becoming obsolete just because somebody talked about it in a public forum.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
925 said:

Yes.. Now you can tell eveyone that asks you why you scan you can say " I heard about a guy who shot himself!" That should go over well.

DLeeHarley did not give any information that would jeopardize current, or future police activity anywhere, for any purpose. Get real! :roll:

And yes, if he told me the story about how the "criminal" shot himself, it would go over well with me. In fact it would make my day! :cool:

Why dont you get real greatlakes and respect someones oppinion. Althought your smart ass attitude is not suprising looking at your previous posts i see you just lack any class.

Anyway-

I did not say he made public the use of this technolgoy as a whole. PERHAPS i should have worded it better- in my oppinion its better off not to divulge you heard about it and where its in use. Because you wont convince me banks make everyone aware of the devices they use to track down/prevent a robery. I unserstand its widley used and that people are aware of it. But what are the chances the suspect knew there was some type of tracking device in his new found fortune?

I also never said the technology was a secret, but where it was in use could have been kept secret. I also never said it would become obsolete. I don't know where that came from....

My point is again - Perhaps its better not to divulge how he was tracked- ( as in maybey we should not tell everyone that area uses this technolgy)

Secondly, if you feel that somone shooting them selves under any circumstances would "make your day" You might want to think about that one. I understand listning to the radio and being "interested" by the radio traffic for the call. But to actually get pleasuere out of somone shooting themselves is somewhat ( in my oppinion) odd.

Last edited:

JoeyC

The reason you don't post is you just recently joined. :roll: (that comment edited out)

Tracking devices have been in use for ages as someone mentioned. They've been referred to on news reports of previous incidents time and time again. Its no secret.

If the bank robber had half a brain, he'd already know his prize was booby trapped. Hell, if he had half a brain he wouldn't have robbed the bank in the first place.

You give Radioreference.com quite the accomplishment. One guy tells his experience (out of hundreds already written) listening to a call, and now the whole world knows that technology is out there. :roll:

First of all so what if somone "just joined" I have provided countless assistance to people via PM. Post count, join date those things have nothing to do with anything. And you are incorrect anyway I had a prior account that I for some reason could not recover the password to.

Once again I never said he divulved the technology to the world. My one and only point was and still is - Maybey if you hear the local police have that ability - its better kept to your self.

Thats all - It was not to start an arguemnt. My comment was nothing more than an oppinion.

Yes perhaps if the guy had half a brain he would not have robbed it. But then you would not have anything to listen to and then we would not be debating weather or not its a good idea to divulge what departments use this technology.

My point once again by the way was NOT that he gave away some HUGE secret that banks have this device
It was that his post gave away the city and state in which it occured. My point was and still is perhaps we should not divulge WHO uses it and WHERE it is in use.

(yes my spelling is horible you dont need to point that out, thanks)

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I don't know. Some departments might actually like this getting out - "hey, don't go rob a bank in Boise, they have TRACKERS in the money! Go hit the next town over instead, they're behind the times!"

Trusting in security through obscurity is merely deluding oneself. If you *think* no one else knows, because it isn't "public knowledge", then the criminal who DOES know (or at least account for the possibility) is that much more dangerous.

n5usr - You do make a very good point.

Although someone would probably still go to the same bank and just say "no tracking device" although we all know how well that works from seeing prior roberies and die packs that have exploded where the note said "no dye pack"

slicerwizard

925 said:
PERHAPS i should have worded it better
No, you should've thought it through and then posted nothing. These tracking devices have been showcased in news reports and in programs like COPS and CSI. Your comments are totally without merit.

SCANdal

Silent Key
I, for one, was not aware of this technology. Thank you.

925 said:
Secondly, if you feel that somone shooting them selves under any circumstances would "make your day" You might want to think about that one. I understand listning to the radio and being "interested" by the radio traffic for the call. But to actually get pleasuere out of somone shooting themselves is somewhat ( in my oppinion) odd.

The only thing I would want to think about is whether or not this mutt survived his self inflicted wounds. I would hope that he didn't. That would truely make my day.

SCANdal

DLeeHarley

<--Back to the Scene of the Crime

After reading All the above I can really see 925's point of view. Although I know that this type of Tech is widely known, the locations & departments that use them are not. In the future I will abstain from releasing such information. Like I'll ever hear something like this again! LOL. It just goes on to prove that no matter how old you get there are plenty of life's lesson's to be learned. To any & all public safety officers online here I am sorry and it will never happen again. Thanks for a GREAT site!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
925 said:
Why dont you get real greatlakes and respect someones oppinion. Althought your smart ass attitude is not suprising looking at your previous posts i see you just lack any class.

I should respect your opinion, and not express mine? I don't think so. Why don't you respect my opinion? Double standard maybe?

There is a difference between being a smart ass with no class, or just being honest and expressing ones opinion. Your interpretation of my level of class is based on your inability to handle opposition.

I really don't understand your compassion for the felon! In my opinion, (whether you respect it or not), I think the world would be a much better place to live if all felon's shot themselves dead. If you are opposed to this, perhaps you could contact the Government and volunteer to pay my share of taxes to support all these low lifes serving prison time?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Pay Attention

Somehow an interesting "find" on the scanner bands was discussed after the fact (so no danger in providing the perp with anything useful a la CNN). Then after an opinion is expressed this entire thread sank into an "it's all about me" attitude.

First, rat packs are used in almost all jurisdictions with a fair sized populations. The technology is well known to lots of people, including "professional" bank robbers. Saying that posting the information here is wrong is akin to saying we shouldn't publish frequencies or talk group information.

Rat packs are in routine use for bank robberies, as are dye packs (although not often together), talking about them in a forum as part of discussing an interesting call is just fine. I would hope that such discussions would cause the information to be more widespread, kind of like LoJack or OnStar makes auto thieves think twice. Does it stop bank robberies or keep auto thieves at bay? No! Everyday criminals are caught by the use of these technologies. Why? Because most criminals are stupid! If they were smart they wouldn't be committing crimes that have such a low probability of success.

However back to the problem with this thread, somehow it got side-tracked into the realm of "he said, she said" and drifted completely away from the initial subject. DLeeHarley (or anyone else), if you come across another interesting call like that let us know, maybe in a regional forum would have been better, but in any case there was absolutely nothing wrong with your initial post from this site's perspective and to be frank that is the only opinion that counts here.

Since this thread has sunk into the depths of trash talk, it is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.