Buying My First...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYJoEe

Im going to buy my first scanner tomorrow from radio shack. Can anyone reccomend one for around $100? Im only 14, so I dont have much of a budget lol. Also, how do I find frequencies and stuff (I live in Brooklyn, New York)?

Last edited:

n2mdk

If you could come up with the extra $60(there is tax after all) for a Pro-97 that would be very nice. In NYC for an entry into the hobby scanner the Pro-82 will do you very well. Almost everything you might want to listen to in the city falls between 108Mhz and 512Mhz

maalox

grove in there bargain bin has a pro-51 a basic scanner for $59. call them 1800-438-8155

ShadowFire

From what I understand - the pro 97 is a grand little unit. You won't need anything more than that - it does everything but cook your dinner. :D

GOOD LUCK!

n2mdk

Since your a newbie I'll give you some help, this is the greatest site for info about everything scanning including frequencies, just use the database link at the top of the pages

Now for Conventional frequencies here's the link
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=1855

For trunking systems here's one place to explore (if you get the Pro-97)
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=129

One thing that you need to know is learning is going to take time, just give it some and you will be richly rewarded

470.83750 just might be the single best frequency in NYC, it's SOD (Special Operations Division)

CrAzYJoEe

They didnt have any in stock at the radio shack I went to. Im going to another radio shack with my dad, when he gets home. @n2mdk, thanks for the info! =D

brandon

Database Admin
Congrats on your new scanner. In a place like NYC you should have tons to monitor. Welcome to a wonderful and addicting hobby :)

n2mdk

The Pro-82 will be fine to start with, almost everything you could want to listen to in NYC is a conventional frequency. Take it slowly, once you get the first few frequencies programmed in it will all come to you.
If you can make a call with a cell phone you can program a scanner.
And oh yeah your welcome for the thanks before.

CrAzYJoEe

This is really interesting, but very confusing D=. I used the scan feature to search for FD or PD and I was listening to something about a fire in a basement, and then it just switched to a different frequency =[. Anyway, Im kinda confused about adding frequencies. How do I find the channels? And how come it wont let me enter the whole frequency, it stops around the last two digits, and then adds an s to the end.

BaLa

Start really easy..

Hit PGM 001
Then type in 154.43 Enter
That is supposed to be Citywide Fire Dispatch.

Now read the manual :D
but to program other frequencies you would want to listen to do the same thing.
except go to the next chan number.
enter frq. hit enter and up arrow

might wait for somebody else to confirm it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.