Time for some new batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Energizer Rechargeables are starting to peel around the "negative" end of the batteries (see the bad quality pic).
They are the batteries that came with the Energizer 15-Minute Charger and that's what I use to charge them. They are about 4 months old.
Could it be from heat? From swapping them in and out of the battery charger and scanner so often? What could be causing this?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

DiGiTaLD

Bad, out of focus picture! Can you use the macro focus to sharpen things up a little bit maybe?

The peeling is probably nothing to worry about. I'd keep using them. If they hold a charge all right and aren't leaking, then they're fine. One thing I learned on here about the NiMH Energizers - if they have a greenish circle around the positive terminal, look for them to fail prematurely. If its a dark gray or blackish circle, they should last much longer. I had a bunch of them with the greenish circle around the positive terminal that crapped out much earlier than they should have.

hoser147

If in doubt throw em out. Its better than having your scanner trashed. However the way you are describing it, the label might just be worn and may not be an issue with the battery itself. If ya can test the battery and if there is no presence of corrosion or excessive wear or distortion of the case it is probably ok. Good Scannin Hoser147

daman1

Energizer Rechargeables are crap, i had a whole pack of 2500's and stopped
holding a charge after a month or LESS.. never buy 'em again.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I think using that 15 minutes charger is hard on them too. The ones i've had seemed to last longer when i used the standard charger. But that quick charge ability is really nice.

daman1

wogggieee said:
I think using that 15 minutes charger is hard on them too.
^^I totally agree, that's why i'm using Kodak's 12 hour charger it charges 4 AA's so i always have a set on hand, they seems to be holding up very well too.

godskidz

Energizer

Dont throw out Energizer batteries.
I had a problem with four of them .
I emailed Energizer and they had me ship them to them and sent me a $20.00
gift certificate.
The problem I had they wouldn't charge unless totally dead.
Good luck.
GOD BLESS

Thanks for the info everybody!
I couldn't figure out the macro settings on my camera...
doh.png

I might contact Energizer just to see what they say, nothing to loose there.
I'll probably use these for a few more days but probably going to buy some new batteries just to be on the safe side. $10-$20 is a lot cheaper than $500 for a new 396.

THANKS AGAIN!

DiGiTaLD

Green vs. Black

Here is a picture of what I was talking about regarding the green and black circles. Not all the Energizer NiMH rechargables are bad. I've had two sets of them with the black circles that I've been running since probably last fall with no trouble at all. The batteries with the green circles around the positive terminal are known to fail prematurely, however, and won't last near as long as the black circled batteries. Learned that here on the forums!

Attachments

• EnergizerNiMH.JPG
    EnergizerNiMH.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

daman1

I know what your saying i just checked mine and all my 2500mAh are the "green" rings
and there junk, my 2100's are the black ones, strange

Mine are also the green ringed Energizers..
If I buy another pair of Energizers I'll be sure to look for the black ring!

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
DiGiTaLD said:
Here is a picture of what I was talking about regarding the green and black circles. Not all the Energizer NiMH rechargables are bad. I've had two sets of them with the black circles that I've been running since probably last fall with no trouble at all. The batteries with the green circles around the positive terminal are known to fail prematurely, however, and won't last near as long as the black circled batteries. Learned that here on the forums!

Damnit. All of my 2500 are green, and true, my old 1700/1850 gray ones have lasted since like 2002, and at least 1 of a set of 4 greens has failed.

xpawel15x

I have 4 2500mah energizer rechargables as mentioned here. They're the ones with the greenish tops. Have them for a few months now. I'm charging them with the charger that came with them. Not the 15 minute one. But like 8 hour charger. So far I have no problems. My Pro-97 can work 2 full days with the 4 batteries and my Pro-83 can work 1 full day with 2 batteries.

n2mdk

I use the Powerex batteries the ones I have are the 2700mAh, I also have the Powerex Wizard One charger, great charger if a bit of overkill. Also makes a great night light. If you own one you know what I mean.

scanrrman

I bought the 4 2500 Engergizers and use the 8hr Energizer charger. Does anyone have any opinions about the 8hr Energizer charger???? Got the black ringed batteries though!

n2mdk

The slower the charge the less heat it will generate the longer the life the batteries will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.