New User Needs Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like me, i'm having the time of my life.

i bought one 433 and 2 pro 97.. the 97 i can get to pick up the trunking talk groups but i have had no luck with the 433... starting to think its a piece of junk. i even sat under the tower today and no luck.. i don't know i even swapped out radios at radio shack due too i thought it was the radio..

but read my other link of trying to set it up... so far no luck.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81194

Icee53

Last edited:

n2mdk

If your not worried about rebanding I would go for the Pro-97, the 528 is the portable version of the 433. I think you will get more help from 97 owners if you need help. I think there are more of us around.

Icee53

I don't know if I should be worried about rebanding in the two areas I will be in... : (

Gilligan

Database Admin
not sure if the 528 has alpha tagging but if it doesn't then it would be a no-brainer for me to grab the 97. I have the 97 and i love it. also has Signal Stalker II!

Icee53

I have figured out that the area around me right now will be rebanded soon. So I believe I will go with the 528. What is alpha tagging?

n2mdk

The LTR wont be effected in the same way as a Motorola with rebanding it would just need
reprogramming, if the Motorola system your talking about is the Refinery it's in 900 so it wouldn't be effected either.
The second link isn't working in your post so I can't really tell about the Motorola

Last edited:

Icee53

n2mdk said:
The LTR wont be effected in the same way as a Motorola with rebanding it would just need
reprogramming, if the Motorola system your talking about is the Refinery it's in 900 so it wouldn't be effected either.(I looked at the database pages)

The clark county emergency communications and Portland police communications are going to be rebanded in the last phase... : (

Bandingabout

My vote says 97. This is a great reciever. LTR, Stalker, Edacs etc., I have 2, my area workhorses. Can't chance cratering a 96,(loose ant. connect again) when a 97 will fit into a daily punishing routine with much more features wise, for my monitoring dollars. 149. is so much a bargin. I aliken it to basic cable and conventional scanner monitoring. So much traffic for that dollar. Digital Pro resersved for serious travel comms. DPS in Tx generally work out of assigned counties anyway. Small counties wont all be going APCO because tax base isn't there nor will ever be there to support latest comm equip. IMO.

Icee53

Any good recommendations? Please help.

Hello, I am new to scanners and I am looking to get my very first one. I will be listening to Police, Fire and air traffic. The two systems that I will be concerned about are LTR Standard (http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=2994) and Motorola Type II SmartZone (http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=2963). I have included the radio reference pages with the systems that are in the two areas I will be in.
I am wondering if anyone has any good recommendations or opinions for which scanner I should get. Please keep in mind I am new to scanners and would like something semi easy to use. I am looking to spend no more then $200.
Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I would go with a Pro-97 with the systems you mentioned. It is a very good scanner. Only problem might be with rebanding. You could also wait for the Pro-97s younger brother (the GRE PSR-300) to come out. Basically the same scanner but rebanding friendly.

KevinTheMule

For the non-digital systems you mentioned, I would recommend the Uniden BCT 246. I love mine.

If you have the money, I would also recommend "buying ahead" and getting a digital-capable scanner like the 396...

I'm a "one scanner shack" at this point, and I'm missing out on maybe 10% of some stuff I want because of my lack of digital capabilities.

That said, the 246 has been awesome for me.

Feature wise, the RS Pro96 and 97 are par on par with the Uniden 396 and 246. Quality wise, they both seem like dependable brands. It may seem like nothing, but to me the looks and ergonomics of the units make a difference to me. I think the RS units look like bricks and are funky to handle.

I'm a Uniden guy.

-Kev

Icee53

I have looked up the rebanding issue in my area, and the 800MHZ systems in my area are due to be rebanded. So I would need a rebanded friendly scanner.

SAR923

Unless you have a pressing need right now, I'd wait until the GRE PSR-300 comes out and see how it stacks up against the Uniden BCT-246. The Uniden is a nice scanner but it will be a generation behind when GRE comes out with their new line, which should be rebanding friendly. Assuming the sensitivity of the PSR-300 is as good as the Pro-97, especially on military air, I think it would be a better bet than the BCT 246. However, if your budget allows, I'd be looking at a digital scanner since many areas are switching to digital and an area like yours, with lots of conventional frequencies, would be a prime candidate for digital if they upgrade their radio systems.

Icee53

BCT15 or PRS-400?

Well, I am just wondering but I need some people's opinions since I am new to scanners. I think I would like a moblie/base station to sit on my desk. I cannot decide which one to get. The BCT15 appeals to me, I have read good things about it, but the PRS-400 will be new and the next generation. I will be listening to Police, Fire and air traffic. The two systems that I will be concerned about are LTR Standard (http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=2994) and Motorola Type II SmartZone (http://radioreference.com/modules.ph...=RR&ctid=2963). I have included the radio reference pages with the systems that are in the two areas I will be in. The Motorola Type II is going to be rebanded here shortly so I need a reband friendly scanner.
I would just like some peoples thoughts on if I should get the BCT15 or wait until the PRS-400 comes out.
A part of me thinks that I should go with the time tested BCT15 but another part says wait for the next generation.
Another thing is the cost, is the PRS-400 going to be more expensive then the BCT15? I am looking to spend about $200.
If you do suggest either of them do you know of any good places or websites to get a good deal?
Thank you so much for any information.

wizardmj

Hey Icee53,
If the 400 has something you need I am not aware of it .The 15 is one heck of a scanner don't see any digital in your area so you don't need that. The 15 and 400 are both rebandable and have a lot of features. Both are conventional and analog trunking. If you want a scanner now go with the proven 15 or compare them both in a month or so with others opinions . There are alot of other excellent scanners out there depending on what you want to listen to and whats in your area and budget. I will be testing a 15 and 996 this week but love the 780 and 2006. Have had about every scanner built after 84 and till the present runs of digital. It all depends on you own listing habits budget terrain antenna(very important) etc. Read alot and ask alot then you will figure out what you need and want.

Welcome to Scanning ! Next stop Ham Radio ! LOL

Strictly my opinion if I am off track let me know.

Bucko

To program a trunk system push pgm then trunk then choose the bank you want 1 through 10 hit E. Use the up down arrow to toggle for trunk type, in your case for Mot type 2 it would be E2 800. Next Prog F comes up, push enter and proceed entering your Trunked site freqs, with MOT system no LCN is needed and being the 433 is a Uniden don't mix conventional in the same bank. Push PGM after you have your freqs entered and toggle to Prog id with the arrows and hit enter. Type in your TG# and hit enter till you have all the TG's you want. Hit scan after you programmed your TG's and your 433 should be scanning the trunked bank in search mode ( open for GRE scanners ), to toggle to ID scan mode ( closed for GRE's ) press and hold for about 2 seconds the trunk button, it should beep and will have scrolling ID scan when scanning the trunked bank. Page 24 in your manual gives you the steps to program trunked systems. I would recommend ARC433 software to program your scanner with, it will make it a lot easier.

SAR923

In addition, you're trying to compare something that exists (BCT-15) with something that does not yet exist (PSR-400). If you need a scanner right now, go with the Uniden. If you can wait, compare both when they are out in the real world. The 400 may be a much better or much worse scanner than the BCT-15. All we have to go on now is specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.