question for connecting Handheld radio to PSTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecollector

hi, this probably has been asked before but i just want to put the question in my own way and seek some answers from you. My question is, is it possible by using a handheld radio, a car mounted trunking repeater & a home based trunking repeater or a Ham setup to connect to PSTN while with some degree of encryption along the way for the sake of privacy. i am not an expert on radios but i have very deep interest in radios and just want to know by using the source like ebay, is it possible to get these kinds of equipment? how much knowledge is require. ( probably a lot, i know, what any highlights?) any legal issue involve with this kind of operation? all your answers is greatly appreciated, thank you very for much for taking your time answer my questions.

fineshot1

I think you need to clarify what you are asking ! No such thing as " a car mounted trunking repeater & a home based trunking repeater ". There are ways to connect to the PSTN with a two way radio but what are your needs? Please be a bit more liberal with the info on what you need.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Many amateur radio repeater controllers have an "autopatch" feature built in, whereby one can "dial" the access code and phone number on their radio's DTMF pad to call someone. Some of them also handle "reverse patch" where the controller picks up an incoming call, the caller would then dial a code and the repeater would "announce" the call and someone listening can pick up the call. I've heard commercial controllers that do this as well - most commonly on a security frequency, if security gets a call but no one is in their office (after-hours) or at one college the emergency phones in the parking lot dialled straight to a patch setup on their frequency.

You would NOT be able to legally run encrypted on an amateur radio frequency. Further, what you can do over the phone is restricted on amateur radio. No business, no foul language, the usual restrictions. If you want more freedom on what you can do with the frequency, you'd have to get a commercial frequency license although they may also have some limitations - I don't know them.

If you are after a "cheap cell phone" alternative, realize that to most people on the phone side, a patch can be a right PITA. They are used to just talking, but now have to wait for you to unkey. It is VERY common to hear people repeating themselves often because they don't wait long enough to start talking.

Not sure what you mean by "trunking repeaters", you just need one repeater at the house with the phone patch. If you are so far away the handheld can't make it, you could use one in the car but it's often much easier to do a "cross-band" repeater in the car so you don't have to have all the isolation gear required of a traditional repeater. (Unless you intend to use 800MHz or such, where the components become smaller - but distance is greatly reduced without a very high antenna at home.) A cross-band repeater there would require the HT be dual-band, or always go through the car to get to the house.

This is really an awful lot of effort and gear just to talk on the phone - especially if you want privacy. A cell phone would be far more feasible!

w0fg

Many fixed amateur repeaters have the ability to connect with the PSTN via an autopatch. Access is usually by DTMF code. There is no need to involve a vehicular repeater and they are not commonly used in amateur radio, nor is trunking. The FCC forbids encryption of any type in amateur service, so privacy is a moot point. It may be possible to accomplish what you are implying on the business radio service but you need to provide more information on your ultimate goal.

jim202

You would probably be better off with a simple cell phone. No hassles, no gear to
maintain, no issue with people listening in, no license required, no legal issues.

Using a repeater or a trunked system, your coverage is more restricted and
limited than what you would get from a cellular carrier in your area. You didn't
get into the topic of how much and how often you intend to use the PSTN
connection.

Having worked for cellular companies for over 15 years, I have done just about
everything from building the sites to engineering the RF coverage. Been a ham
operator for even longer. Do yourself a favor and get a cell phone.

Ecollector said:
hi, this probably has been asked before but i just want to put the question in my own way and seek some answers from you. My question is, is it possible by using a handheld radio, a car mounted trunking repeater & a home based trunking repeater or a Ham setup to connect to PSTN while with some degree of encryption along the way for the sake of privacy. i am not an expert on radios but i have very deep interest in radios and just want to know by using the source like ebay, is it possible to get these kinds of equipment? how much knowledge is require. ( probably a lot, i know, what any highlights?) any legal issue involve with this kind of operation? all your answers is greatly appreciated, thank you very for much for taking your time answer my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.