NTIA info

Status
Not open for further replies.

seligman

Are all NTIA frequency assignments sealed, even if they are not used by military or law enforcement?

Exactly how far does NTIA's jurisdiction go? Can they license frequencies to NON-Federal agencies?

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Not all NTIA assignments are 'classified', but all are 'restricted', which means, no release, unless the authorized agency/base chooses to release.

Technically, the NOAA Weather Broadcast frequencies are 'restricted', but NOAA obviously publishes them.

NTIA coordinates with FCC. NTIA authorizes Federal Government stations only, FCC authorizes everything else.

seligman

SkipSanders said:
NTIA coordinates with FCC. NTIA authorizes Federal Government stations only, FCC authorizes everything else.

The reason I ask pertains to something I discovered a few weeks ago. The Alaska Railroad uses a number of frequencies in the 165-171 MHz range. Since no FCC licenses exist for these frequencies, I am assuming they were licensed by NTIA.

Here's where it gets interesting - the railroad was owned by the Federal government until 1985 when it was sold to the State of Alaska.

I presume they are grandfathered in despite the ownership change. If so, I wonder where else in the country this might apply?

Mick

I'm interesting in seeing a list of the federal freqs. the railroad is using. Thanks in advance!

seligman said:
The reason I ask pertains to something I discovered a few weeks ago. The Alaska Railroad uses a number of frequencies in the 165-171 MHz range. Since no FCC licenses exist for these frequencies, I am assuming they were licensed by NTIA.

Here's where it gets interesting - the railroad was owned by the Federal government until 1985 when it was sold to the State of Alaska.

I presume they are grandfathered in despite the ownership change. If so, I wonder where else in the country this might apply?

seligman

Mick said:
I'm interesting in seeing a list of the federal freqs. the railroad is using. Thanks in advance!

The main ones that I'm aware of are 164.625, 164.9875, 165.2625, 165.3375.

Would you agree that these look like NTIA frequencies?

Mick

Those are definitely in the federal band. Interesting. Thank you!

seligman said:
The main ones that I'm aware of are 164.625, 164.9875, 165.2625, 165.3375.

Would you agree that these look like NTIA frequencies?

bpckty1

If I recall correctly, doesn't Alaska fall under different FCC rules because of its location and has special considerations because of the climate? I remember something from a few years ago during a discussion about HAARP or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.