I-Call and Car to Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryton

Hi all, The scanner says it has the function called I call.. I understand it to be a car to car transmission. But if the talk group I have programmed in has car to car already.. Does it defeat the purpus?.. I'm a little confused as to what the difference is.. Thanks all

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I-Call is a direct individual call between to radios directly on a trunked system not *normally* heard by other units. Car to car is a talkgroup the units can switch to to free up the dispatch or primary talkgroup. Multiple units and dispatchers can talk on car to car.

robbinsj2

In this context, "I-Call" means individual call. Many trunked systems enable users to transmit to just one particular radio, be it a car radio or a handheld or a dispatcher. Other trunked radios will not even be aware of an individual call unless they are the recipient (or unless they have special administrative privileges).

Some systems have ordinary channels or talkgroups designated as car-to-car, which generally means it isn't for dispatch purposes. Any radio with that channel programmed in will be able to receive it (subject to being within range, etc.).

Jim

Tryton

ok, I have set my scanner to accept I-calls, but how do I know it's getting one? Do I have to search instead of scan talkgroup id?? Sorry, just new to the I-call thing.. is there any indication on the screen that your lisining to one?

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The 996 will display an I-call as and "i" followed by the radio id number e.g. i702968-i702903. This should alternate on the display as the radios switch comms. Keep in mind not all systems use I-Calls.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you are talkgroup scanning, you'll need to program in the I-Call wildcard. I-Calls will show up as 700000.

If you are talkgroup searching, you will see a 7xxxxx id.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a BR330T and the way I have mine is I copied the system and then put that as I-Call ONLY in the search ID's mode....works GREAT !! The system I have they use it during the day for admin stuff mostly but by night - whole different ballgame - you hear more "opinionated" conversations about crimes , accidents , "activities" , etc.

ScanDaBands

Banned
I have a BR330T and the way I have mine is I copied the system and then put that as I-Call ONLY in the search ID's mode....works GREAT !! The system I have they use it during the day for admin stuff mostly but by night - whole different ballgame - you hear more "opinionated" conversations about crimes , accidents , "activities" , etc.

ScanDaBands

Banned

ScanDaBands

Banned
n2mdk said:
Hit the ./No and the Zero key and then E/Yes

I'm afraid to hit the submit button here..... he he :lol:

ok Thanks but where do I enter that ? IN a talkgroup where the ID's go?

Tryton

yeah, i cant seem to get it to work, it isn't doing anything when I press [.no][0].. where am I supposed to do this?

Tryton

ok, I just figured it out, (Gotta press hold first, then press [.no] then [0],then press yess) and have the wildcard programed, so will this work for all systems or do I have to put a wildcard in on every system.. Thanks Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.