Trouble receiving when cop car is really close

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

There was a call on my block today, right in front of my house. When the cop pulled up, I saw him use the radio and I heard him at the same time. But it was very static-y and I had to move my scanner a little bit to improve the reception. This was the second time I experienced this. Kinda like the radio waves would cancel each other out because they're this close. The reception was better when the cop was farther away than closer to me. o_O I would think it would be the other way around. Is there any way to prevent this? I was using a pro-83 with stock antenna.

fineshot1

No - no way to prevent it. Its due to the fact that its duplex communications. He is transmitting on the input frequency to the repeater. His transmission on the input frequency was desensing your receivers reception of the repeater output frequency. You gotta live with it. Scanners are very easy to overload on strong nearby signals and this is part of that.

SLWilson

Well, you could...

fineshot1 said:
No - no way to prevent it. Its due to the fact that its duplex communications. He is transmitting on the input frequency to the repeater. His transmission on the input frequency was desensing your receivers reception of the repeater output frequency. You gotta live with it. Scanners are very easy to overload on strong nearby signals and this is part of that.

If they are in your area "a lot" you could always program the PD's input freq into the scanner. Listen to it while they're "in the neighborhood". You shouldn't have that issue then....

Steve ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.