Is the AM band just plagued with interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

I try to listen to AM banded frequencies such as aircraft, CB, and others.

I noticed that in my house especially, the interference to AM seems to never stop.

But even outdoors I get it randomly.

Is there just really no way to really keep interference away from the AM band?

I try to do an Air Search or Mil Air search, and it just seems constantly it will stop on a channel and just give interference on any scanner I seem to use.

jonny290

Now you know why radio services switched to FM in the 60's. :)

AM sucks for interference. Best bet is to get a radio with a good noise blanker (my IC-735's works pretty well) and fight it as best you can.

a29zuk

If you have a portable AM radio that runs on batteries turn it on and carry it around the house until the noise is the loudest. This will help you locate what is generating the noise.
CRT televisions and monitors are the worst noise sources. If you have an older appliance that generates a lot of noise it may not be grouded properly. I was surprised to learn my old washer, that just broke down, was killing my AM reception with noise while it was running. So it isn't always the most obvious thing like a computer or television. Now, with my new washer and my TVs shut off my AM listening is almost noise free.

RedPenguin

Hmmm

In my house, I can understand the noise.

But it seems to also happen in so many public places that I go to.

It happens at my one college campus, so maybe they have something messed up because it's ok at my other college campus.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Many cheaper cable modems and wireless routers are, as I understand it, also candidates for problems. In addition if the wiring is cheap it's quite likely to act as an unintended antenna for the radiation. There are so many different possible sources that one could write a book and still not get them all 73s Mike

[edit] By the way, a point here - when you say 'Am Band' most people think 540-1700 khz or so. What you are talking about here are services that use AM mode.

rcvmo

I've found my cable modem is the first culprit.
Second, flourescent lights. Have gone to LED's since, but still need the latter for better vision.
I've also grounded my cable modem rf input which helped getting rid of a few harmonics when listening to HF.
Your car is another haven for AM interference. The Fuel pump is your first static generator, second your heater / AC fan.
There are many ways to cut the noise. Too many to explain.
rcvmo

w0fg

Any electrical device that generates a spark when it is switched generates an AM signal, as does lightning and natural electrical activity. So the simple answer to your question is, "Yes. AM transmissions on any band are highly susceptible to interference."

bpckty1

Don't you just love the power lines along the roadway? Just when the program gets interesting, you pass a transformer, and then you have to wonder, was it a touchdown, home run, etc.?

N

N_Jay

w0fg said:
Any electrical device that generates a spark when it is switched generates an AM signal, as does lightning and natural electrical activity. So the simple answer to your question is, "Yes. AM transmissions on any band are highly susceptible to interference."

Close!

I would say the transmissions are just fine, but AM reception is very susceptible to noise.:lol:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

w0fg

N_Jay said:
Close!

I would say the transmissions are just fine, but AM reception is very susceptible to noise.:lol:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Picky, picky, picky..:lol::lol::p

N

N_Jay

Accuracy is important because believing something that is incorrect can hinder your further understanding of a subject.

w0fg

N_Jay said:
Accuracy is important because believing something that is incorrect can hinder your further understanding of a subject.

I'm teasin' you 'bro. I don't mind being corrected. Your definition IS a shade more accurate than mine when you get down to the semantics of it.:cool:

wlmr

Whenever strong amplitude noise is present on a frequency you're trying to listen to, it kills AM reception. Keep in mind, AM stands for Amplitude Modulation or modulating the amplitude of the signal you're trying to receive. Unless the signal has WAY more amplitude than the noise, you hear both.

On the plus side, you'll always know when there's lightning somewhere in the state (or neighboring states) and can track down powerline insulators that are starting to arc over!

N

N_Jay

wlmr said:
Whenever strong amplitude noise is present on a frequency you're trying to listen to, it kills AM reception. Keep in mind, AM stands for Amplitude Modulation or modulating the amplitude of the signal you're trying to receive. Unless the signal has WAY more amplitude than the noise, you hear both.

On the plus side, you'll always know when there's lightning somewhere in the state (or neighboring states) and can track down powerline insulators that are starting to arc over!

So if you have "strong amplitude noise", but are using FM it is not affected?:lol: :lol: :lol:

kny2xb

160 meter ham (1.8 MHz - 2.0 MHz) is just above the AM broadcast band .

When I was in high school, I was copying a ham on 160 meter AM (not SSB), and he was announcing his address for QSLs before signing off. Then a VW bug drove by. ARGHHH!!!!!

Greg
Palm Harbor, FL

wlmr

N_Jay said:
So if you have "strong amplitude noise", but are using FM it is not affected?:lol: :lol: :lol:

(grin) Depends on what you mean by affected! Won't hear the noise - 'course may not hear much of anything if it desenses the receiver bad enough. FM = Quiet affected -vs- AM = lotsa noise affected! At least you won't be listening to a LOUD noise, unlike AM. That's what you meant, right?

N

N_Jay

wlmr said:
(grin) Depends on what you mean by affected! Won't hear the noise - 'course may not hear much of anything if it desenses the receiver bad enough. FM = Quiet affected -vs- AM = lotsa noise affected! At least you won't be listening to a LOUD noise, unlike AM. That's what you meant, right?

That was part of my point. :wink: :lol:

SCPD

QRT
When tracking down the source of noise around your house don't forget that dimmer switches can be very noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.