AM Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeydcg2003

I was reading the previous post about AM freqs when it got me thinkin. One of our stations WHO Radio in Des Moines, IA broadcasts on 1040 AM @ 150,000 watts or so they say. I know it's so powerfull that in the evenings, you can hear it as far away as texas, california, washington, and other coastal states. I was just wondering if any of you have heard it from time to time and if you can receive it. The best time to get it is at night around 7 or later as there are less freqs bouning off clouds and the atmosphere. If you can hear it, let me know. I am curious to see who can here it and who can't

WA1CRZ

mikeydcg2003 said:
I was reading the previous post about AM freqs when it got me thinkin. One of our stations WHO Radio in Des Moines, IA broadcasts on 1040 AM @ 150,000 watts or so they say. I know it's so powerfull that in the evenings, you can hear it as far away as texas, california, washington, and other coastal states. I was just wondering if any of you have heard it from time to time and if you can receive it. The best time to get it is at night around 7 or later as there are less freqs bouning off clouds and the atmosphere. If you can hear it, let me know. I am curious to see who can here it and who can't

WHO? Yes! Maine, isnt it 50,000 watts?

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I've heard WHO all over the upper midwest. I used to listen to them quite a but when i was going back and forth between home (Twin Cites, MN) and school (Houghton, MI). They were usually pretty strong.

n2mdk

I believe it was one of the AM stations I would Dx late at night in NYC when I was young. I remember having a US map on the wall and writing in station call signs on it for the places I could hear. I know there were Midwest, Colorado, Texas and even California stations I had documented. Used to write to them and get QSL cards from them. Was one of my early forays into radio.

w0fg

Back in the 60's, when I was working at KXEL, another of Iowa's 50Kw stations, I used to listen to WHO on my way home. The host of the overnight country show, used to open the program with his theme, "Steel Guitar Rag" and the words, "Coast to coast, border to border and then some, it's Country Music USA on clear channel 1040 WHO". He was speaking truth. My station, unlike WHO, had to run a cardioid pattern at night to protect a lower power station in the southern US, which meant we were beaming north. You could hear us (KXWL 1540) well north of Red Lake, Ontario nearly a thousand miles north.

Status
Not open for further replies.