Should I be "hiding" my scanner when I take it outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

It's legal to use a scanner here in NJ, but I always wondered how the cops would react, if they heard their transmitions go through my scanner. Should I not worry about it and take it outside with me, or should I hide it under my sweatshirt to avoid the hassle?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
If it is legal to have a scanner in your area and you are not using to violate any laws don't worry about it. I'd still keep it low key. Not so much for LE, but for LE targets (i.e., thieves).

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber
xpawel15x said:
I always wondered how the cops would react, if they heard their transmitions go through my scanner.

Do you normally hang out in close proximity of police officers while they are making radio transmissions? :confused:

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
when i started carrying a scanner when i was 14 i used a ear bub -on my bike,walking the mall,at night in bed,i didnt want to miss anything-lol
i still do that whne im not at the fd...i use earbuds in public!
too each there own though!!!!!!

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
If its legal then you really have nothing to worry about it. One might want to question you about it and you can just tell them the truth and say you enjoy listening.

mciupa

xpawel15x said:
It's legal to use a scanner here in NJ, but I always wondered how the cops would react, if they heard their transmitions go through my scanner. Should I not worry about it and take it outside with me, or should I hide it under my sweatshirt to avoid the hassle?

Why don't you want the police to know you have a scanner ? What are you up to?:confused:

cellblock776

Yes, keep it hidden from the gestapo. I recommend carrying it on your weak side opposite of your concealed hand gun. It won't interfere with your draw and kinda balances out the load on your belt.

WA1CRZ

xpawel15x said:
I guess you arent bored anymore, at least you are outside with your scanner.

DLeeHarley

Only Reason

The ONLY reason I can think of to hide your Scanner from anyone is to keep it from being stolen. I see no need to hide it from the PD. The one's I know are cool about them.

elk2370bruce

Many of us NJ scanheads carry our rigs openly. Done it for many years and have never had a problem. If you act like you're hiding something, you're sure to get some attention from someone. Many LEO's FF's and EMT's (as well as amateur radio operators) display them without fear. Just because you think you're paranoid does not mean that others are not out to get you. Lighten up, its only a hobby.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I guess that depends on just WHERE outside you are going. Are you walking down the street? or in a mall? or ??? First, I would use an earbud with the scanner when in public. That will avoid drawing attention to yourself (there's already a lot of noise pollution out there). Second, I wouldn't "flash" it; because as others have written, you'll just make yourself a target of theives. And you shouldn't be near any LE incidents with it anyway.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Also consider that one thing cops ARE trained to 'spot' is 'someone trying to hide something'.

Being secretive is begging to be stopped and questioned.

Certainly, using an earphone is recommended in public, anyway, to avoid annoying those around you. For some reason completely beyond my comprehension, many folks dislike listening to scanner yap-yap/noises! Go fig, eh? And 'person walking along listening to something or other with earphones' is a normal event that shouldn't draw interest.

kc8qch

cellblock776 said:
Yes, keep it hidden from the gestapo. I recommend carrying it on your weak side opposite of your concealed hand gun. It won't interfere with your draw and kinda balances out the load on your belt.

Hey you must have watched me put on my duty belt this morning ;)

elk2370bruce

I have mine in its pouch along side of my MaCom 7100P every day. It's helped me more than once. Of course, as was stated, there are environments where you would not plainly display anything of worth. That's just common sense - even in Kal-I-Forn-Ya (The Governator's pronounciation).

Status
Not open for further replies.