PL / DPL Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiend15

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Fellow scanners. I was just wondering if anyone knows of where I can find out more PL / DPL Tones for any area. I have checked nf2g.com and Dave has PL / DPL Tones listed there, however when I check the FCC Database only the frequency is given. Does anyone know where I can find out more PL tones other than just on a few websites.

Thanks much for any help.

xpawel15x

You can use the database on this site, or you can set your Pro-97 to find DPL/PL codes of the freqs you want.

cookiend15

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thank you

xpawel15x said:
You can use the database on this site, or you can set your Pro-97 to find DPL/PL codes of the freqs you want.

Thank you for your help. I already knew the part about finding and programming PL / DPL Tones into my Pro-97 and Pro-2055 scanners.

Thanks again.

potbellyperch

tones pl

Also I got a dumb ? what are all thease tones do all my scanner freaks. from way back didnt have tones now a lot of freaks do have tones ?what is the diffrence do the tones make in your scanner ??
without the tone do you miss a lot of calls ??

thanks
Steve

tekshogun

Tones are used, primarily, to reduce interference from intentional or unintentional transmitters.

An intentional transmitter would be another radio station (a mobile or base user or another repeater) operating on or near the same input and/or output frequencies. An unintentional transmitter would be some electrical device that is putting off noise on or near the frequencies in use.

These codes (PL for private line also refers to various flavors of CTCSS: CTCSS (PL) Tones , DCS, DPL, etc, etc).

The idea is that if a transmission does not have the right "code" (which is either a sub-audible tone or a digital code) then it can not break the squelch of the receiving units, effectively preventing a repeater or another station to "key up" and listen/transmit depending on what the station is used for.

A transmission with the right code will key up the listening station(s). The listening station is basically "looking" for any transmission with the right code.

Some operators program their repeaters and other stations with codes so they can hold private or closed coversations. Unless you use a scanner that can give you the code in use (and some transceivers have the ability to listen for the tone/code being used) then an unpublished code will prevent you from "getting into" a repeater unless you run through the possibilities and get it right. In the case of a closed system, if someone really wants privacy, they'll use encryption. Encryption is illegal for use in most if not all of the non-commercial/public safety services (such as GMRS and ham radio). On those non-commercial/PS services, all means of communications must be open and available to the public (such as DSTARS, P25, etc).

Modern scanners essentially listen to the entire transmission giving you the codes (if any being used) as well as the traffic being transmitted (data, voice, etc) and they are programmed to discern any codes in use.

I think I've got that right, please correct me if I am wrong and I hope that answers the question.

Last edited:

cartman

PL / DPL codes

Fellow scanners. I was just wondering if anyone knows of where I can find out more PL / DPL Tones for any area. I have checked nf2g.com and Dave has PL / DPL Tones listed there, however when I check the FCC Database only the frequency is given. Does anyone know where I can find out more PL tones other than just on a few websites.

Thanks much for any help.

Hello. Just read about your problem searching for various Pl, DPL codes. Well, I've kindof got the same problem and wondered if you've had any luck and finding them. A place where I work p/t recently switched to a newer motorola radio and I've got an Icom handheld, both on the same frequency, only problem is I can hear them, they can't hear me when I key up and talk. Did you get your problem solved, and where did you find the source. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.