An old scanner can out perform a new scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

My mother has an older Realistik 45-channel radio scanner and a Uniden BCT15, and the weird part is they are in the same room, and the interference should be the same, but constantly it's the Realistik actually is less prone to any interference.

We have our fire dispatch on 33.7, the Uniden complains about any interference, the Realistik says, fine I will bring you that channel in nice and clear.

I tried many antennas from the Diamond RH77CA to the Radio Shack Deluxe Antenna to the antenna that came with the radio.

Why does the Realistik, even though it has less features seem to get stations in so much easier? It even seems to get the railroads in better.

hoser147

Scan rate would be one of the variables, as anyone with multiple scanners can tell ya, not all receivers will pickup the same broadcast at the same time. Some receivers are just more sensitive than others. But thats what keeps us in there.......Tryn to figure it all out. Keep tweakin and Good Scannin hoser

n2mdk

The old scanner is most likely much less broadbanded, therefore the front end can be tighter and less prone to interference.

RedPenguin

Hmmm

That is true, it is less broadbanded. It does not get the air band at all. It also does not get 800MHZ/900MHZ at all. It does not go to 1300 either like both my BCT15 and BR330T.

flecom

also i am sure most newer scanners are designed with 800 in mind quite a bit since a lot of public safety is up there... older scanners was more lowband, vhf, uhf mostly so less bandwith should probably give you better sensitivity down there...

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
n2mdk said:
The old scanner is most likely much less broadbanded, therefore the front end can be tighter and less prone to interference.

I was thinking the same thing. Also if you are scanning you most likely would have a lot more in the BCT-15 which would make its rate of scan slower than the 45 channel Realistik.

xpawel15x

n2mdk said:

Yea that's it. My Pro-83 gets less interference on UHF than my Pro-97. But the Pro-97 is more broadbanded so thats why.

Status
Not open for further replies.