Frequency In and Frequency Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyman

Greetings,

What is the necessity for 'Frequency In' and 'Frequency Out'? Is there a reason for switching between the two, and what makes that determination? I've also noticed that not all frequencies provide for an 'In' and an 'Out'...:confused:

Thanks,

Lyman

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
"Frequency Out" will be the output frequency of the repeater (if one is used). "Frequency In" is the frequency the repeater listens on and the users' radios transmit on.

If the frequency is used "simplex" or direct from one user's radio to another, then there is no input frequency as there is no repeater.

Artjirbal1950

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Posting of repeater inputs is dangerous because it gives people the needed information to jam or otherwise disrupt radio communications. Even though the information is available on the FCC website (which should be better protected), posting it here eliminates a lot of work and uncertainty for somebody who wants to cause trouble. This is happening more and more frequently these days, and is going to get someone killed eventually.
In my view, the website posting the inputs is pretty irresponsible.

N

N_Jay

Artjirbal1950 said:
Posting of repeater inputs is dangerous because it gives people the needed information to jam or otherwise disrupt radio communications. Even though the information is available on the FCC website (which should be better protected), posting it here eliminates a lot of work and uncertainty for somebody who wants to cause trouble. This is happening more and more frequently these days, and is going to get someone killed eventually.

You are way to paranoid.

Anyone who has the knowledge to jamb a frequency does not need to come here to find out what frequency to jamb.

SCPD

QRT
Artjirbal1950 said:
Those aren't repeater inputs. They're mobile and portable outputs. Yeah, that's it. :p

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
On the UHF and 800 MHz bands, the repeater inputs are always fixed at +5 and -45Mhz, respectively. The only band they're not standardized is in the VHF high band. So not publishing them really wouldn't matter much.

slicerwizard

Artjirbal1950 said:
Yeah, because it's so hard to snag the TX frequency off a mobile or portable. Manufacturers and sellers of frequency counters and close call scanners are pretty irresponsible. Hell, even providing the ability to do limit searches makes them terrorist sympathizers, right?

N

N_Jay

W4KRR said:
On the UHF and 800 MHz bands, the repeater inputs are always fixed at +5 and -45Mhz, respectively. The only band they're not standardized is in the VHF high band. So not publishing them really wouldn't matter much.

T-Band UHF is down 3 MHz.

Artjirbal1950

Banned
Whoops, sorry, my bad!!!
Gang members and drug dealers don't know the first thing about the internet, and aren't smart enough to use a scanner. So they wouldn't come to a place like this to quickly learn how to spy on the police.

And nobody ever programmed a used radio to their local police or fire radio channel and interfered with their communications.. So they wouldn't need to find out how to set the radio up in the first place.

Now that I think of it, hackers never break into computer systems or steal identities..
So, go ahead and post all this stuff like a bunch of school children telling secrets.. It won't hurt a thing..

N

N_Jay

Artjirbal1950 said:
Whoops, sorry, my bad!!!
Gang members and drug dealers don't know the first thing about the internet, and aren't smart enough to use a scanner. So they wouldn't come to a place like this to quickly learn how to spy on the police.

And nobody ever programmed a used radio to their local police or fire radio channel and interfered with their communications.. So they wouldn't need to find out how to set the radio up in the first place.

Now that I think of it, hackers never break into computer systems or steal identities..
So, go ahead and post all this stuff like a bunch of school children telling secrets.. It won't hurt a thing..

If it needed to be secret it would be secret.

Publishing it or not publishing it makes no difference.

Thinking so provides nothing but a false sense of security.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Artjirbal1950 said:
Why would they need to come here? Most scanners are "preprogrammed" with common freqs now. Just turn 'em on and listen. Or the helpful geek behind the counter at Radio Shack will plug 'em in for you when you buy. Besides, your original complaint was about listing input frequencies. Why would they bother listening for the input freqs when they'll hear the repeater a lot better?

And let them listen - it'll be amusing when they get busted. My local PD knows this trick well. They're on a readily listened-to UHF freq. There'll be some traffic as they set something up, but it's annoyingly vague (to someone who wants to know what's going on). If they have something sensitive going on, they'll be on their cell phones or face-to-face.

For that matter, the police are well aware they're monitored. I bet in many cases they'd like to see a scanner or radio around when the bust takes place. That just adds more charges to the stack!

Yep, there are people who've done it. Even some hams who "opened up" their ham gear to do so. And the idiots who actually USE said radios often get busted. It's extremely easy to triangulate on a transmitted signal, especially with a doppler system. We used them for amateur radio transmitter hunts, they make a formerly challenging and fun activity quite boring and quick. (If they are transmitting enough to jam comms, they're transmitting PLENTY long enough to get hunted.)

And as was said before, except on VHF-hi the repeater inputs are a uniform offset up/down from the output. So it's a non-issue.

Looks to me like you don't think the database should exist at all...

What's this have to do with posting repeater input frequencies?

Except everything posted here isn't a secret. It's all quite readily attainable information. This site just packages it nicely.

Heck, if you want to get silly about it, various sources used to sell BOOKS that contained all the frequencies as of that publish date. Why would any intelligent drug dealer get online for his info when the feds might be watching, when he can go to the library and look up the freqs in a book? Or pay cash for a book at the store?

ibagli

Let's just ban scanners, cars, travel, cameras, and everything because terrorists and criminals might use those things.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Gang Member 1: I wish we knew what the police departments INPUT frequency was so we could jam it.

Gang Member 2: I know...let's go to RR and see if anyone has ever posted how radio systems work so we can figure it out. Then we will buy a radio that operates in the same band, program it and when the police try to catch us, we can jam them.

Gang Member 1: Great Idea... I'll go steal a computer so we can get started!

Artjirbal1950

Banned
No trolling here... Just trying to make people think about what they're doing.
While checking out some history sites, I happened to see some old WWII posters about keeping quiet about things... "Loose lips might sink ships". "Do your part in Silence", "Don't talk, rats have big ears" and so on.. And I thought of this place..
We are definitely not the same as our grandparent's generation. They knew when to keep quiet, we blab (about things we really shouldn't) incessantly.
I guess I don't understand why we would put police & fire in potential danger just to further a hobby. Just think for a while on how much of an advantage it would be to monitor and interrupt police communications if you were a bad guy.. School shooters (mainly kids who are tech savvy and research their crime), gang members looking to set an ambush (they aren't stupid!), the list goes on.
Hopefully, sooner rather than later, all radio communications becomes secured, and this is all just a bad history lesson..

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Artjirbal1950 said:
No trolling here... Just trying to make people think about what they're doing.
While checking out some history sites, I happened to see some old WWII posters about keeping quiet about things... "Loose lips might sink ships". "Do your part in Silence", "Don't talk, rats have big ears" and so on.. And I thought of this place..
We are definitely not the same as our grandparent's generation. They knew when to keep quiet, we blab (about things we really shouldn't) incessantly.
I guess I don't understand why we would put police & fire in potential danger just to further a hobby. Just think for a while on how much of an advantage it would be to monitor and interrupt police communications if you were a bad guy.. School shooters (mainly kids who are tech savvy and research their crime), gang members looking to set an ambush (they aren't stupid!), the list goes on.
Hopefully, sooner rather than later, all radio communications becomes secured, and this is all just a bad history lesson..

As stated here before. More and more frequencies that are in use have standardized inputs (set number of MHz down from the output). So should we not publish any frequencies at all. Well I could just search and find them on my scanner myself. Wouldn't take that long to figure out whats what either. So should they not sell scanners either?

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Artjirbal1950 said:
Whoops, sorry, my bad!!!

This one is just funny.... So we should elimnate not only the input section of this website (wouldn't take a genius to figure out most of the inputs anyways), but also the whole website. Also while we are at it the FCC website, scanners themselves, computers, and anything else. Lets outlaw guns, knives, and any type of weapon and let our government run our lives. Sounds like a great plan. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.