Fire Tone Out for Any Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Hello all,

I'm working on a hardware two-tone decoder that could be used with any scanner on the market. While commercial two-tone decoder boards exist (from companies like Midian, etc.), I wanted to make something that was geared more towards scanner monitoring. While I'm still working on testing and debugging, my decoder currently supports seven two-tone pairs and a single long tone (group tone). The tone sets are computer programmable via serial port, and the decoder has both momentary and latching outputs. I'm also toying with the ability to interface with the "SCAN" and "HOLD" buttons on a scanner to force the scanner to not stop on active channels unless a tone set is detected, in which case it would pause for thirty seconds, and then resume scanning. This is just an idea at this point...it hasn't been tested.

If anyone is good with electronics and wants to build their own or collaborate, I'm putting together a website that has details. I'll be adding more info to the page over the next few weeks.

http://radioetcetera.googlepages.com/twotonepagingdecoder2

Eventually I hope to have a solid enough design that anyone can build one. Parts cost should be less than $20 total.

This is a hobby project, so I'm not going to put a great deal of additional time and effort into it once I get it working and a couple of them built, but if anyone has suggestions for additional features or improvements, feel free to drop me a line.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.