Frequency strength- radiated power

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Can you tell how strong a frequency will be by looking at its radiated power. For instance, in the FCC database, a frequency may radiate at 100 watts. Another will radiate at a power of 35 watts. Yet I will sometimes notice that the frequency at 35 watts will be just as strong as the one with 100 watts. How can that be? Is there any other way to tell how strong a frequency will be by looking at the database?

fineshot1

No - no way to tell - too many variables involved with each individual transmitter site.
Many parameters like antenna type, cable type & length, local terrain, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc - you get the idea.

n2mdk

This question is really very hard to answer. The amt of power a transmitter puts out is only part of the equation in how well you will receive. There are a lot of factors, including height of the antenna, frequency, terrain, and your distance from the source. Technically speaking everything being exactly equal the higher power station will cover a larger area. Lets say you are 6 miles from the Tx point you will receive the 2 stations just about equally well, now move out to 25 miles and the higher power station should come in stronger.
I had HAM station in NYC most stations on simplex could hear my signal equally well at 35 W or 100 on VHF or UHF within a certain distance, the further away you were from me the better you would hear me the more power I used.
I think I answered your question partially at least

N

N_Jay

As everyone has pointed out, there are many variables most notable the path lost between their antenna and your antenna.

One factor that was not mentioned is that many systems do not run the licensed ERP.

Status
Not open for further replies.