Shoulder/Lapel Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjthomas59

Does anyone have any experience with this speaker from scannermaster?

Here is the link: http://www.scannermaster.com/Mini_Speaker_p/28-531156.htm

I'm wanting something that will put the audio right by my ear so i can hear radio traffic in noisy areas. I'm using this for "on-duty" type activities where i'm not authorized to transmit however need to hear what is going on.

I was also wondering if something like this speaker from radioshack couldn't be converted to work:

Here is the link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...052.2032075.2032078.2032101&parentPage=family

Could you cut off the end that is on it(a two pin type) and solder back on a 3.5mm mono plug... assuming you could find the 2 correct wires? I have no clue what the wires look like underneath the rubbershielding.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Deeke

Why not use a microphone for your "on duty" radio and don't push the transmit button?

mcema699

Speaker Suggestion

Can't get the ScannerMaster one to come up right now.

On the RS one the larger (3.5mm) plug is the speaker plug so if you don't want to solder and don't mind the large rubber body, just cut the 2.5mm plug off flush. Note this unit may be discontinued.

Might I suggest that if you're in a high noise or extremely low noise setting that an earphone may be better suited to your needs. Would the agency that you are monitoring be pleased that their communications can be heard by everyone if you use a speaker?

mjthomas59

The reason behind doing this is that i don't have a radio with the right programming so i'm resorting to using a scanner for what i need. Just to clarify, i'm in the police academy and part of our requirements are to do community service for various agencies. I am a reserve as well but that radio isn't programmed for surrounding areas.

However, i think i may have got it figured out. I am going to buy the RS speaker and grind off the 2nd input on it. I think that should work, i just hope it is loud enough. Directing traffic and doing crowd control can be noisy areas so it needs to be loud and near my ear.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
before you buy ther RS speaker/mike check and see if they don't have a lapel speaker like the one shown in the scanner master ad. I think they do. I know I bought one from them a couple of years ago. I don't see it online anymore though.

DickH

mjthomas59 said:
However, i think i may have got it figured out. I am going to buy the RS speaker and grind off the 2nd input on it. I think that should work, i just hope it is loud enough. Directing traffic and doing crowd control can be noisy areas so it needs to be loud and near my ear.

Get the "Hook-on" earphones from Radio Shack for $9.99. If you don't want to use both sides, just cut of the one you don't want. It even has a volume control in the line.
RS # 33-1106.

Status
Not open for further replies.