Quick question about antenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazlet

Hi all, If I buy a scanner with a SME type antena can I get a converter so I can use a antena with a BNC type connector.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's just that I'm going to buy my first scanner soon & I want to be sure.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep - and some antennas come in either connector style (SMA or BNC). Be sure to look at what you buy carefully to match the connector type

73s Mike

nexus

In "RADIO" there are companies who have manufactured just about every possible combination of adapter. Like KA3JJZ said, yep, you can get an adapter to make an SMA connector on your radio accept a BNC style antenna. Radio Shack and GRE use BNC, and Uniden's newer radios use SMA.

Radio Shack should have the adapter. If not you can probably find it online at http://www.universal-radio.com

LEH

Premium Subscriber
the adapter that Uniden ships with the 396 is much better than any I've seen elsewhere. Go to the Uniden site and order one if you need one. Last time I looked, it was still backorder, but who knows status right now.

gcgrotz

LEH said:
the adapter that Uniden ships with the 396 is much better than any I've seen elsewhere. Go to the Uniden site and order one if you need one. Last time I looked, it was still backorder, but who knows status right now.

I agree, the design takes the stress off the connector on the radio.

Amateur Electronic Supply has one in their catalog made by Diamond that is just like it only in sexy black. Someday I'll get around to ordering a couple. Maybe at the same time I order that D-130.

Status
Not open for further replies.