cell band

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafale01010

I have heard RS scanners can pick up the cell band.Yes,im not stupid,i know it is illegal, but can the pro-96 be modified to recieve these transmissions?

trunker0205

rafale01010 said:
I have heard RS scanners can pick up the cell band.Yes,im not stupid,i know it is illegal, but can the pro-96 be modified to recieve these transmissions?

That's a Big Fat "NO"

mciupa

If you have a compulsion to do this try finding an old Pro-2004 and do some research on modifications.

n1das

Gotta love government censorship of radio frequencies under the illusion of "privacy protection" so the cell phone industry can continue to perpetuate their commercially-serving lies about privacy.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
rafale01010 said:
No & No.

n1das said:
Gotta love government censorship of radio frequencies under the illusion of "privacy protection" so the cell phone industry can continue to perpetuate their commercially-serving lies about privacy.
And this has to do with question asked how? Never mind, any answer would also be off topic.

elk2370bruce

Slyster said:
If you open the back of the pro-96.. in the upper left corner there is a switch labeled "CELL" and if you flip it you will get cell phones- both analog and digital.

;)

If you buy this one, there are a couple of bridges in New York City that are up for sale and there is that big inheritance offer that has been issued in your name from Ghana.

It doesn't matter!

This is a moot point. It doesn't matter if the scanner can or cannot operate in the cellular A or B band, or hear PCS channels.

The FCC recently issued a consumer alert saying that it's okay for the cellular providers to cut analog cellular off after 18 February 2008. If, by some chance, you can hear cellular, then you soon will not. There may be exceptions where it's not economical to swap out analog cellular in rural service areas, but generally, if it makes money, retrocompatability to analog costs money. In other words, they can accommodate several simultaneous digital conversations in the same space as analog.

The average and even advanced scannerist will not be able to demodulate the digital signal, so it doesn't matter if you can receive the signals or not.

nexus

902 took the words right out of my mouth... By this point in time it doesn't matter. I have a Yupiteru MVT-7100 and its a complete coverage receiver from .1 to 2000 mhz with no gaps and it easily covers the US Cellular band. I haven't heard anything AMPS in quite some time down here.

Everything is CDMA/TDMA/PCS/GSM now. If there is any analog left, its not here. And the answer about the PRO-96 is NO... There hasn't been a scanner sold in the USA that could cover or even be modified to go into that part of the band for at least 7 years now.

LauDauns

I had a really good read on this, very detail, and very useful information.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

N_Jay

k9rzz said:
Not ALL cell phone calls are digital yet. Not around here. (Don't ask me how I know)

They will be soon.

You can not even buy a new analog phone.

gcgrotz

Very little analog left in most places. You might pickup the control channel (or sig), we used to use them for audibly testing coverage from a tower while driving around.

Last time I had the service monitor on the cell band I heard nothing but a few sig channels.

BTW, if you tune in a CDMA channel you won't even know it because it is a wide band, 1.25 MHz, channel of high speed data. It will deflect the S-meter on my AOR8200 but the receiver thinks it is just noise.

cavis

Feed Provider
rafale01010 said:

Did you hear this from the same junior policeman / freshman that said you could transmit on your Pro-96? (http://radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83598) If so, I think I would steer clear of that guy until you learn a little bit about scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.