Scanning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

snikliw87

Hello,

I have a question that maybe you could answer...

Is it possible to scan for a trunked system without having any of the frequencies? I am looking to get the local school bus frequencies but they are not online. Is it possible for me to do this and how? I have a uniden bct15.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Depending on the system type you will always need at least one frequency. Some Motorola and APCO25 systems will be able to be scanned with only the current Trunked Control Data channel known, the scanner can then find the voice channels by decoding this data.

EDACS and LTR systems (popular for businesses) require that you have all channels and even in the correct order.

Most trunked systems are detailed in the RadioReference database, so it is likely that the freqs are known. It might take a little research to find the actual system used by your target, and then to find your target's operations among the other users but it isn't really that hard.

nozzlenut83

I would suggest first posting your question with the name of the company and location in the appropriate regional forum. You may be able to get the info that way.

If not, try searching the FCC ULS for any info relating to the company or local radio vendors that they might lease system space from.

Hope this helps,
nozzlenut83

madnachos

Its possible, but not without a lot of scanning of freq ranges looking for the control chans, could be a real chore if you live in an area with a lot of trunked systems. You would pretty much need to scan around, find TRS control chans (ID them by the sound), then plug the CC into the BCT15 and try it out to see what you have found. So...yea...you can do it...but not in any sort of automated fashion.

Have you tried using the 'close call' function to get you pointed in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.