Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an antenna that I could buy that could allow me to listen to police agencies well out of my general scanning area? I live in Dorchester County, South Carolina and would like to listen to the Highway Patrol in various counties and other police agencies in South Carolina that I can't ordinarily listen to. And if there is such an antenna, do I have to have a really good, expensive professional-like radio or can I use my Pro-2096 Radio Shack scanner? Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this.

n2mdk

Actually it might be quite possible, depends upon a couple of things such as actual distance, line of sight and what might be in your way, how high you can get the antenna and most importantly how much you want to spend on things like antenna, rotator, for a directional antenna, and preamp, good coax. Frequency also plays a role generally the lower the freq. the better the distance you will be able to receive non dependent upon things like skip or ducting.
A good directional antenna like a Yagi or Log Periodic could bring in signals from quite a distance away, using the radio you have.

w0fg

A good antenna will help, but a good antenna on top of a 50-75 ft tower will help more. VHF/UHF transmissions are all line of sight and elevation makes all the difference.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
AdamMiller1218 said:
Is there an antenna that I could buy that could allow me to listen to police agencies well out of my general scanning area? I live in Dorchester County, South Carolina and would like to listen to the Highway Patrol in various counties and other police agencies in South Carolina that I can't ordinarily listen to. And if there is such an antenna, do I have to have a really good, expensive professional-like radio or can I use my Pro-2096 Radio Shack scanner? Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this.

This question is almost impossible to answer with a definitive yes or no. A lot of factors come into play, like the frequency band involved, how high their transmitting antenna is, how far away are they from you, how high your receiving antenna is, what type of antenna you have, and the type of coax cable you use. The only aspect you have any control over is your own receiving antenna setup.

The best you can do would be to get a directional scanner beam type antenna, fed with good quality low loss coax cable, and mount it up as high as you can safely get it, pointed at the station you're trying to receive. Even then, depending a lot on the other factors, you still might not be able to receive what you're after. Unfortunately, you might have to build such a receiving setup just to find out for sure. Receiving distant signals is another aspect of the monitoring hobby, a lot of people are in it just for that reason. It's all about experimentation! Good Luck!

I just want to add to what the other commenters said. If you have a clear channel and under the right conditions, it may be possible to receive much further than you'd expect. The only thing I would say is that you must invest in good, professional quality cable, antennas, possibly filters and possibly low noise preamplification. I say "invest" because you should have no expectations that you can go to the Shack or to a scanner supplier and buy consumer-type equipment and have any more than random success. Your results will be gauged on how much you spend, and even then there are no guarantees. This is a hobby unto itself and goes beyond casual monitoring. You have to ask yourself: "How far do I want to take this?"

In NJ, before I moved, I had several thousand dollars invested in antennas (I used 10 dBd UHF antennas that cost about $1,200 each new - you can get them used if you look around; I also had VHF and low-band antennas, with many omnidirectional and directional combinations), 7/8" LDF cable (this is what many professional radio systems use, at about $6/ ft or more... copper is commodity priced; you can also get this used), several different types of GaAs FET, bipolar and MMIC preamps (buy these new), bandpass and reject cavities (used are okay) and a very good receiver (Icom R-7000... this is dated now, and the older receivers start to have sensitivity issues until they are reworked and realigned). I also had a number of scopes, PL/ DPL decoders and other stuff. With this setup, from my old house in Bergen County, I was able to reliably receive 4 states under normal conditions and, with enhancement, I could receive much of the northeast and central Atlantic states. As I said, it ain't cheap and there are no guarantees.

Status
Not open for further replies.