Talkabout frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayofash

Talkabout frequencies

I have a Motorola Talkabout T5710, occasionaly I'll hear a group of people driving around the county (San Diego) talking about the weather or in this case, the fires. I'm trying to figure out which frequency they're using, but I can't find any information for this model on Google.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm new to the forums and new to radio.

Last edited:

rayofash

rdale said:
Try your search again using "Talkabout T5710"

It's a FRS/GMRS radio, so it uses those frequencies, and the exact freq depends on what channel you have it set to.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/starbattery/T56XXusersguide.pdf

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks.

So the frequency is 462.650 and the 'code' is '233.6 M5'. If I wanted to broadcast on this frequency what would I need to buy? I'm just curious as to how they can be broadcasting on it and yet I can hear them from over 20 maybe even 30 miles away.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
They are probably licensed GMRS users which allows them to use high-power and use large antennas as well as repeaters. They're legal.

n1das

rayofash said:
Exactly, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks.

So the frequency is 462.650 and the 'code' is '233.6 M5'. If I wanted to broadcast on this frequency what would I need to buy? I'm just curious as to how they can be broadcasting on it and yet I can hear them from over 20 maybe even 30 miles away.

You need to pay $75 (or is it up to $85 now?) to the FCC and get an FCC GMRS license in order to transmit legally on GMRS freqs and then figure out what radio to get for GMRS. You can apply for the license online through the FCC's website. The license is valid for 5 years and is renewable and it covers yourself and immediate family members who would use your radio equipment (including your Moto TalkAbout radio). The fine print in the documentation that came with your TalkAbout radio mentions the FCC license requirement for GMRS.

The distant GMRS users you're hearing are likely using a repeater on 462.650 located on a hilltop in the area. The repeater's antenna is likely on a tower they either own or rent space on (and pay a monthly fee). The cost of such a system can typically run from as cheap as several hundred dollars and can quickly get up into thousands of dollars. Also GMRS repeaters technically are private property and aren't available for just any GMRS licensee to talk on. You need to get permission from the repeater owner to use their repeater legally and not be considered a source of harmful interference.

Good luck.

rayofash

Thanks. How I can figure out which repeater they use and get permission to use it?

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Gilligan said:
They are probably licensed GMRS users which allows them to use high-power and use large antennas as well as repeaters. They're legal.

The Motorola "TalkAbout" series radios do not work with repeaters. For use with repeaters you need a radio that can transmit on one frequency, and receive on another. The TalkAbouts do not have that capability.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Not only all that, but it's likely a business anyway. Sounds like you should get a ham license. Much more you can do with a ham radio than w/ GMRS and lots of people that want to talk to you. More frequencies, more modes, much higher power, and incredible distances.

rayofash

GreatLakes said:
The Motorola "TalkAbout" series radios do not work with repeaters. For use with repeaters you need a radio that can transmit on one frequency, and receive on another. The TalkAbouts do not have that capability.

They're using mobile radios, and whatever frequency their repeater is using I can pick it up on my TalkAbout. They're driving around monitoring the weather and right now they're focused on the fire.

Edit: Could you recommend some books I should study before taking the test for a HAM license? And how about a cheap radio to start with (preferably one that can transmit on one frequency and receive on another)?

Last edited:

Big_Ears

Are the repeater inputs standard offsets from the actual simplex channel frequencies?

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Specifically, it's a group of News Stringers, and GMRS rules require you get permission to use their repeater. Which they will not give, unless you too are a news stringer/photographer/videographer, or some other special cases.

Sorry, it's a repeater intended for a specific group, not an open system.

No, by the way, that's not the PL. And using the right PL (on the output) won't key up the repeater, it doesn't use that PL on the input.

Just listen, if you wish, many do.

Only a very few of the 'bubble pack' GMRS/FRS radios will work on repeaters, and, due to the number of pirate users (unlicensed) with those freely available toys, many repeaters use special setups to make sure that even those few cannot key their repeaters.

Your radio's manual should give the specific frequencies of each 'channel number' it uses.

Disclosure: Yes, I'm one of the legit users of that repeater, though I'm not on too often. I'm a backup base monitor, not one of the field photographers. Yes, each user has their own GMRS license, and they're whapped on the nose occasionally to remind them they must ID.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
rayofash said:
They're using mobile radios, and whatever frequency their repeater is using I can pick it up on my TalkAbout. They're driving around monitoring the weather and right now they're focused on the fire.

Edit: Could you recommend some books I should study before taking the test for a HAM license? And how about a cheap radio to start with (preferably one that can transmit on one frequency and receive on another)?

ham radios will not transmit on the frequencies you have been asking about.

rayofash

I'm a photographer, but it's just a hobby. I'm more than happy to just listen.

n4voxgill said:
ham radios will not transmit on the frequencies you have been asking about.

Okay? I can have multiple radios. Could I still have some book recommendation's?

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
I should have said, monitor 462.650 with NO PL (PL setting 0). The actual output PL is not one of the 'common 32' available on bubblepack radios, and trying to just use the nearest means that you'll have a lot of cutting in and out due to the wrong PL.

There are actually 4 GMRS repeaters used by the group on different channels, but 462.650 (ID'ed as YELLOW) is by far the most used.

rayofash

SkipSanders said:
I should have said, monitor 462.650 with NO PL (PL setting 0). The actual output PL is not one of the 'common 32' available on bubblepack radios, and trying to just use the nearest means that you'll have a lot of cutting in and out due to the wrong PL.

There are actually 4 GMRS repeaters used by the group on different channels, but 462.650 (ID'ed as YELLOW) is by far the most used.

That'll explain all the cutting in and out, and maybe why I'm only hearing half of the conversation sometimes. Is there a website or name for this group?

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
SDINA - San Diego Independent News Association.

There's no public website (or a private one either, other than one hosting the joining form), as comms are by the repeater system and email/mailing list.

You can, however, chat with many of the users on a local web board, one which you should be part of anyway if you plan on monitoring police/fire in San Diego, at:

http://www.scandiego.com/

or directly to the forums at:

http://scandiego.com/phpBB/

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Just for info, the YELLOW channel repeater has lost power (fire ate the line), so the news stringers are using another repeater, on 462.700 (Probably channel 21 on the Talkabout)

rayofash

SkipSanders said:
Just for info, the YELLOW channel repeater has lost power (fire ate the line), so the news stringers are using another repeater, on 462.700 (Probably channel 21 on the Talkabout)

That'll explain why it's been so quiet today. What's the code or PL or whatever it's called (I was using 36 on channel 19)?

Status
Not open for further replies.