Morse-code on 259.245mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicN

Anyone know whats beeing transmited on 259.425 FM ?

There is a constant carrier, with a morsecode beeing repeated several times a min.

I hear this in Norway, using my Kenwood TM-D700A. The signal is 2.

Anyone know what, and who this is?

mciupa

Is it possible for you to provide a short audio clip ?

fineshot1

SonicN said:
Anyone know whats beeing transmited on 259.425 FM ?

There is a constant carrier, with a morsecode beeing repeated several times a min.

I hear this in Norway, using my Kenwood TM-D700A. The signal is 2.

Anyone know what, and who this is?

Must be an image frequency from a strong signal source near to you. If its a morse code ID being repeated as often as you say its probably an airport identifier in cw morse code.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You may consider looking at the ITU Region 1 band plan or one issued by the governing body in Norway to find out what the frequency is used for. That's as good as it gets around here, we can only guess and most of those guesses will be wrong.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
That band is milair in most parts of the world, Warren. ;)

However that sub-band carries things like SATCOM downlinks.

In the UK there are also illegal cordless telephones imported from Hong Kong and other places which are being used around that band and others.

nyquiljunkie

I get those in SW Pa here in the usa..... I get bursts of 30 second morse code (sounds just like it anyway) now and then.

I've also been wondering what those are....
I have tripped over a few that do transmit continuously that way also, I have to lock them out or the scanner stops on them every time.

lotta trippy noises in the air around us.
lol

nyquiljunkie

oh i found an answer at thee bottom of this page....
this place rocks!

several posts said ;

"FCC regulations require that each base station give it's call sign periodically, at least every 30 minutes. It is acceptable to send it by morse code at up to 20 wpm. This keeps the dispatchers from having to remember. The department can be fined for failing to ID as required."

thats an answer for me here in the USA I dunno about an answer for the OP.....
lol

answers everywhere here, sometimes they jump right out and bite ya!
lol

n2mdk

OK you found my first part that I was going to post. There are a lot of other sounds you hear while scanning different types of digital modes. This site has audio clips of some of the ones you might encounter. http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

jakegday

Banned
nyquiljunkie said:
"FCC regulations require that each base station give it's call sign periodically, at least every 30 minutes. It is acceptable to send it by morse code at up to 20 wpm. This keeps the dispatchers from having to remember. The department can be fined for failing to ID as required."
ok, so that is why every now and then at the end of a transmission ill hear the local police dispatcher go "kgf232" or whatever it is, however, i listen to my police scanner pretty much every second im awake in my house, and i hear the "kgf232" maybe once a day, not every 30 mins....... are there exceptions to that rule or is my own PD breaking the rules??

nd5y

They are probably breaking the rules. Most public safety and 99.999% of business licensees ignore the station ID requrements. There are a few exceptions for different types of stations like trunked system users and non-voice transmissions.

kb2vxa

Banned
Jesse, that's only applicable if the transmitter is sending a strong second harmonic which is almost never the case. With today's double and triple conversion receivers images have been eliminated so I'll go with the theory it's some sort of military signal. You're thinking of the image programming trick of multiplying the IF times 2 and adding the result to or subtracting it from the RF frequency. That's how we listened to frequencies beyond the scanner's range but it only works with single conversion receivers and the signals are usually weak because even the old scanners had pretty good image rejection.

BTW, the military and the FCC have nothing in common so that station ID rule doesn't apply, particularly in Norway. (;->)

k9rzz

If you think it's Morse Code, you could record it and decode it. You wouldn't even need a computer.

It's not like it's scrambled or anything.
laughing.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.