Teen Accused Of Jamming Police Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"He gets on the scanner and he listens to the police and what's going on in his neighborhood. He's involved with the neighborhood watch because there's a lot of B&E's on his street. Honest to God, he's an awesome kid," his father Paul Lydon Sr. said.

"I think when I had my scanner on, my radio listening to them, it was sending feed back to them," Lydon said.

Ha ha ha ha - LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: :D

SCANdal

Silent Key
w4esp said:
dose anyone know what he was using, are the police there on 800 mhz trunking? was it a cell phone jammer?
Tom,

Boston Police use UHF conventional frequencies; they are not trunked. What he was using is an excellent question. What the father understood to be a "scanner" may not quite have been a scanner but instead was a cheap two-way radio programmed up on one or more of Boston's police channels. This is an interesting story and if someone more local can keep an eye out for how it progresses, I'd like to know.

SCANdal

Last edited:

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Knowing the BPD radio system and the technitions out there, there is no way this was a simple scanner. The BPD radio shop is not a bunch of fly by nights that have no clue, nor is this a bunch of over-reactive police officers. It had to be an actual radio, programmed correctly, perhaps by the neighborhood watch group. For the BPD Techs to bother to go trace it to this kids house it had to be pretty serious and a regular occurance. At least all they charged him with was disorderly conduct and not some more serious charges.

n2mdk

I'm thinking one of those eBay Chinese UHF radios. A little more info is needed, then again too much info can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

ecps92

Radio

Thoughts, bring out.
a.) Modified Amateur Radio [He is [for now] a Licensed Amateur
b.) Stolen BPD Radio

studgeman said:
Knowing the BPD radio system and the technitions out there, there is no way this was a simple scanner. The BPD radio shop is not a bunch of fly by nights that have no clue, nor is this a bunch of over-reactive police officers. It had to be an actual radio, programmed correctly, perhaps by the neighborhood watch group. For the BPD Techs to bother to go trace it to this kids house it had to be pretty serious and a regular occurance. At least all they charged him with was disorderly conduct and not some more serious charges.

ecps92

not the First time.

Latest updates, in Todays Boston Globe

"His father said police have previously caught his son using radio equipment on their frequency. Both parents attributed their son's actions to his fascination with becoming a police officer."

SCANdal said:
Tom,

Boston Police use UHF conventional frequencies; they are not trunked. What he was using is an excellent question. What the father understood to be a "scanner" may not quite have been a scanner but instead was a cheap two-way radio programmed up on one or more of Boston's police channels. This is an interesting story and if someone more local can keep an eye out for how it progresses, I'd like to know.

SCANdal

pogbobo

another Future Whackers of America candidate ... nice .... i agree with the cheap 2-way theory, he must be dumb as a monkey to be producing some kind of signal that could actually be traced to his house ... i thought that only happened in the movies rofl

R-32

Find out if it was his HAM HT, a stolen, or old surplus radio, then have his parents beat his ass with it, Take it away, and ground him for life....

Parents are way to soft on their kids anymore, I would have been dead meat as a kid if I pulled those kind of stunts.

geoff5093

haha, I loved what he said:

"I think when I had my scanner on, my radio listening to them, it was sending feed back to them," Lydon said."

Status
Not open for further replies.