Minitor III Amp Charger Too Loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to reduce the volume of the Amplified Chargers for the Minitor III's when in the charger and alerting. When alerting they go to full volume which is enough to drown out a lawnmower. Because of this many of us cannot keep them on at night because the rest of the house is awakened. Perhaps a cap or resistor across the speaker lugs in the charging unit ? [yes, both the pager and amp unit's volume are turned low-as-they-go)

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
rescue128 said:
i wish i had that, i can sleep through mine no problem with it right next to my head.
And you have a III ? You must have spent too much time with your ears wrapped around the siren. The radio shop folks say that this is a constant complaint.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Does your pager have the Fixed Alert option enabled? When it's out of the charger, does it alert at full volume regardless of the position of the volume knob? If so, that's your problem right there, you need to get that disabled (via the programming software). It sounds like that's the issue you're having. The amp chargers are kinda loud anyway though, even at the lowest volume w/o Fixed Alert enabled. Certainly louder than the pager's built in speaker.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
res6cue_dot_com said:
Does your pager have the Fixed Alert option enabled? When it's out of the charger, does it alert at full volume regardless of the position of the volume knob? If so, that's your problem right there, you need to get that disabled (via the programming software). It sounds like that's the issue you're having. The amp chargers are kinda loud anyway though, even at the lowest volume w/o Fixed Alert enabled. Certainly louder than the pager's built in speaker.
The beep alerts loudly on the pager but the audio is at the level I define by the volume knob. Once in the amp/charger the speaker on the charger/amp takes over and that's where the volume goes nuts. As mentioned, I believe a certain value of capacitor and/or resistor across the speaker lugs in the amp/charger will curtail the volume.

com501

res6cue_dot_com has it correct.

Your pager is programmed with fixed alert enabled.

Take it to your radio shop and tell them you want it reprogrammed.

Do not try to modify your charger, or you will end up with a broken one, and Motorola no longer supports them for repair.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
com501 said:
res6cue_dot_com has it correct.

Your pager is programmed with fixed alert enabled.

Take it to your radio shop and tell them you want it reprogrammed.

Do not try to modify your charger, or you will end up with a broken one, and Motorola no longer supports them for repair.
I was saying that out of the charger it does not alert at full volume, he is saying if it did the above would be the problem. I'm confused.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you can control the ALERT volume when the pager is OUT of the charger, then you do NOT have the fixed alert option enabled. In that case, you will have to modify the charger in some way. As I said, I know the pagers are a bit louder when in the amp charger due to the nature of the speaker being...well, amplified...but it shouldn't be THAT loud. Then again, my experience is primarily with the II and V, not the III or IV so it could well be a bug or by design. Who knows really, the III and IV were garbage compared to the II, and even the V isn't much better.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I'm in agreement with that but the price was right (standard issue).
Wouldn't you thing a fire pager would be able to take a little moisture?
It crapped out once when in my hand whild jogging (a little sweat) and again later with a very quick squirt from a garden hose that wasn't on me but a 1/4 second as the stream whisked by.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Oops, got home and looked at the pager, it's a IV, nonetheless, the amp/charger is still waaay to loud and needs to have it's alert volume cut by 2/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.