Only one

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcd396towner

Has anyone noticed when u go out with ur scanner to store's and airport's mall etc ur the only one with a radio?

I've been to Phoenix AZ las vegs Nevada, and Fort Myer's Florida and I see no one with a radio on the street's.

Even my dad said that's weird what do u guy's think?

All I see is cell phone's and no radio's

I live in Sylmar CA and no one has a radio. Maybe people do have them, I just don't see them

Last edited:

GemmaKnight

I know what you mean! I sometimes get weird looks from people when I got out and about with my scanners and every so often get asked by security guards & cops what I have on my belt. :)

bcd396towner

GemmaKnight said:
I know what you mean! I sometimes get weird looks from people when I got out and about with my scanners and every so often get asked by security guards & cops what I have on my belt. :)

I get that staring look all the time, when Im listening to the cop's and fire people think im a cop and ask question's like what is that?

People act like they've never seen a radio

I tell them all the time im not an officer or fireman, and then they alway's ask where I got it, and I tell them bearcatwarehouse.com there dumb and say thing's to me like what is scanning?

It's strange that people look at me weird cause I have a radio I don't like it.

Last edited:

CharlesDom

I get that weird look sometimes too but I always wear an earpiece so no one else can hear. I even have my scanner when I go to the movie theater. Only got asked once what it was, I just told him it was a radio and I'm listening to John and Ken on AM talk radio.

As far as seeing others with a scanner; I never do. It's like I'm the only person with one and I'm in a heavily populated area, near Los Angeles.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've been scanning for over thirty years and I have rarely seen others with a scanner out in public.

I normally don't take mine into the mall, but I do to the theater. Other events, like fests and sporting events I clip the scanner to my belt and attach an ear piece. In the summer my t-shirt is outside the pants, so the scanner is hidden, in the winter, it is under my jacket and again hidden.

A lot of people monitor and have scanners in their cars (maybe they leave them there while shopping). Shoot, I don't even recall (other than during the Dayton Hamvention) seeing people carrying their amatuer radios around.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
bcd396towner said:
Has anyone noticed when u go out with ur scanner to store's and airport's mall etc ur the only one with a radio?

I've been to Phoenix AZ las vegs Nevada, and Fort Myer's Florida and I see no one with a radio on the street's.

All I see is cell phone's and no radio's

I live in Sylmar CA and no one has a radio. Maybe people do have them, I just don't see them
I think your miss-use of apostrophes is weird. You know that one can add an "s" to the end of a word with out an " ' ", right?

Bandingabout

Good observation. I got an ear lowering around 6am. this date, carried the 97 indoor. Barber asked "why the radio"? Blew it off on offering true answer. Hooked, to myself I thought, no other customers came in mainly. Thing was "not a single transmission" came across the WHOLE time! LOL. 300 channels scanning, not a peep, and no the volumn WAS audible. Funny scanner moment to me.

kirka127

I only recall seeing 1 other person with a scanner in public. That was a few years ago. I went up and asked if he was listing to one of the local 2 meter ham frequencies and he was amazed that I even knew that. Kinda funny.

n2mdk

There have been a few times, I have run into other people with scanners, in normal everyday
circumstances. I think there have been slighty more times I've run into others with Amateur HTs. Of course this changes when you go to events where radio and HAM people attend.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
bcd396towner said:

It's weird. Keeping one in your pocket turned off or on FTO, or at an incident, is one thing. But walking around in the middle of the day with it - a little awkward.

JoeyC

A dork is a dork is a dork.

When your 14, its OK to look like a dork carrying a scanner around in public with the radio in full view. If you're still a dork after 18, at least keep it hidden. If you still need to carry a scanner as you walk through the mall, grocery store, etc after age 20, you'll still look like a dork, only it won't be cute, as it was when you were going through puberty and you will have earned the classification "nerd" as well as dork. :lol:

rescue128

so i am a dork because i carry my ham/fire dept radio too? i wear wranglers and cowboy boots with a tucked in t-shirt. kind of hard to hide my mts2000.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
You're not the only one, just the only one not hiding it.

I'm listening to my BC796 right now, here at work. I have it very well hidden -the scanner's at home and I'm listening via my live feed. ;) You just never know, that guy you see walking down the street with his earbuds on could be listening to a scanner too - not all of us are listening to those assinine IPod things.

-AZ

mpcarlino

It is a niche hobby, so you won't find as many people walking around with scanners as you will with iPods or PSP's. And I agree with a few posts here. Don't leave your scanner hanging out and blaring. That's a lot like hooking your iPod up to a mini speaker and playing your music for everyone. It's not a matter of looking suspicious; it's just a matter of being a little more polite.

If I do take my scanner somewhere with me, it's usually concealed with headphones. There's really no reason to blast it for everyone.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
AZScanner said:
- not all of us are listening to those assinine IPod things.

-AZ
But whats so good about it is that IPod earphones work perfect with a BCD396T, it looks like you are plugged in to one of those when you have the scanner hidden.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I get some weird looks walking around with all of these on my belt:

1. Cell phone (personal)
2. Nextel phone (for work)
3. Pager (for work)
4. My 396

nexus

I've only encountered a couple of people wearing scanners on their belts in public, like at a mall. And honestly when seeing them I only saw them as nerds or dorks. Even though I myself own several scanners, and two-way radios. In a setting like that, when you're the only one walking around with one, and you're certainly an adult, it just looks WEIRD.

If I carry a scanner with me, its usually in my pocket and only a part of the antenna shows.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
O'course, in these wired days, many folks will just 'assume' it's a cellphone. At least till it 'talks'. Though the antenna tends to give it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.