Best Value on Handheld VHF Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjthomas59

Anyone have any thoughts on a value priced handheld VHF Transceiver?? I'm wanting a radio with alpha tags, atleast 5 watt output and that can transmit in the 150-160 mhz range. I'd also like to have atleast a 100 channel capacity w/ alpha tags(not the 100 channel advertised but only 50 channel if you use tags). I also need CTCSS capability.

I've done a little shopping and am pretty impressed with the ICOM brand, and i've found a few places who can mod a V82 to transmit on the frequencies i need. With the mods and shipping it would come out to about $170.00 which i thought sounded like a pretty good deal. Obviously radio is new, new battery, w/ charger, mic etc.

I've also seen a few ICOM radios now advertising 7 watt output, which sounds awesome, but i really only think that because its more than 5.... i really have no clue if i would even benefit from the higher output.

Also, what are important tech specs i should be looking for in these radios? The radio will be transmitting to a repeater so i'm not sure if there are any important aspects i need to be aware of that would improve my ability to hit a repeater at a longer distance.

Thanks for the help!

n211cr

The VX-150 from Yaesu will cover VHF only, and most likely could be modified. The prices on this run more in the 120 range.
NOTE that none of these radios are type accepted by the FCC to be used normally in the 150-160 range.
The cost for a type accepted radio is going to be quite a bit higher unless you can find a decent deal on an older used one.

Here are a few places to look that may have better prices on what you are looking for V82 looks like its more in the 120 range as well.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0882.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3187.html
http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=ICV82
http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=VX15064B

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Bendix / King EPH599 series

148-174 (144 with quick sofware mod)
210 channels
Alpha tags
Backlit display
LEGAL to use on ham and public safety
Fast scanning
Fast priority
CHEAP TO BUY
Cheap accessories
Good battery life
KEYBOARD PROGRAMMABLE

edmondcops

Your best bet is to buy one or both of the Vertex VX-150s I have for sale. Plenty of memories, does the tones, and can be opened for MARS/CAP. Small, built like tanks, great little HTs. E-mails to w5cyc73@gmail.com.

mjthomas59

What is the benefit to having a radio "type accepted by the fcc"?

I guess what started this search is that i had a police officer tell me that his Motorola HT1250 was better than any icom because of the coverage area it had within his county for transmitting. He said it would come through the repeater cleaner and at greater distance. He gave me an explanation as to why but i really don't remember what he said, and i didn't really understand it anyway.

I'm definetely interested in the Icom V82, does anyone know how well it will perform on public safety bands? Would i need to buy a different antenna for it?

Thanks

n2mdk

The benefit is that a non type accepted radio is illegal to use outside of the Amateur band.

mjthomas59

n2mdk said:
The benefit is that a non type accepted radio is illegal to use outside of the Amateur band.

Well when you put it like that!:D

I suppose i'll shift my search to either an ICOM that IS accepted, or find another Kenwood with more channels. I purchased a tk260 from a member on this forum and the radio works great but i'd like more features like scan, channel capacity, and alpha tags.

Thanks

trooperdude

Database Admin
You can pick up a 128 channel, 5 watt Puxing P777 Plus off of Ebay, that are Part 90 FCC type accepted, for <$100

Not the best quality, but decent for a radio you wouldn't cry over if you dropped it in a stream.

YMMV

A

ACU1000

Try the VX-170 and swap on the VX-180 antenna for commercial use.

Works great.

rescuecomm

Used Icom F30GS off of ebay maybe. Thats what I use for amateur and public safety. If you are operating in the US, you will need a type accepted radio for the 150-160 freq range. Mine seems to come through the repeaters just fine and it has a lot more channels than the 1250. The 1250 is a good radio, but they are still bringing more than $250 used and the programming software is another $250 or so. You can't beat the durability of a Motorola. Their radio cases are like football helmets.

Bob

BaLa

The Kenwood TK-280 is a pretty good radio..

Software is cheap, you can buy a cheap cable off e-bay (prolly home-made, but mine works good).
And it's very simple to program.

mjthomas59

Well i went ahead and ordered one of those Puxing 777 radios. 83 bucks for the radio w/ programming cable and software.

For that kind of money i just couldn't resist and it appeared to get pretty good reviews on other internet sites.

bezking

rescuecomm said:
Used Icom F30GS off of ebay maybe. Thats what I use for amateur and public safety. If you are operating in the US, you will need a type accepted radio for the 150-160 freq range. Mine seems to come through the repeaters just fine and it has a lot more channels than the 1250. The 1250 is a good radio, but they are still bringing more than $250 used and the programming software is another $250 or so. You can't beat the durability of a Motorola. Their radio cases are like football helmets.

Bob
+1 on the Icom

Status
Not open for further replies.