Mystery Sound After Each Transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Scan_Man

I have attached a sample of a mystery sound that is heard after each transmission on a frequency that I listen to.

Does anyone know what it is or can point me to some information regarding this sound?

Thanks in advance,

The_Scan_Man

Attachments

• Sample.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 181

The_Scan_Man

Thank you all for solving that little mystery. I have read the wiki information but I still don't understand what it is used for in a simple term.

The people I am listening to are just a few cleaners at a sporting event. So, when the transmitter de-keys and the MDC is heard, does that send data to the receiving radio/s telling them who is transmitting?

Regards,

The_Scan_Man

Pimpala03

MDC1220 transmits an ANI (Auto Number Identifier) to the other radios on frequency.

The ANI can be heard pre or post key and is programmed in the RSS of the radio. It's sort of like caller ID. When a unit calls another, you can see the calling unit's ANI on the screen.

fineshot1

Pimpala03 said:
MDC1220 transmits an ANI (Auto Number Identifier) to the other radios on frequency.

The ANI can be heard pre or post key and is programmed in the RSS of the radio. It's sort of like caller ID. When a unit calls another, you can see the calling unit's ANI on the screen.

It should be noted that not all radios have mdc1200 decode feature, and even if they do it still has to be enabled and setup in the radios programing to work properly. Many of the low end radio products do not include this capability. Of course someone can always hack a radio(or its software/firmware) but thats another thread subject starter.

pogbobo

whats the point of the mdc being at the end of the audio ...after that I already know who is talking lol

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
pogbobo said:
whats the point of the mdc being at the end of the audio ...after that I already know who is talking lol
Not if the transmission is *static* chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh help! chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pogbobo

UFEMTFF said:
Not if the transmission is *static* chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh help! chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

obviously, but that only answers the question "why have mdc" ... my question was why at the end ... when at the beginning of the tx would work just as well

mdulrich

Feed Provider
pogbobo said:

It lets users know the person has quit transmitting and they can respond.

Mike

N

N_Jay

It is at the end to minimize the delay and clipping of the voice.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
While that is MDC ... it sounds more like a MDC SelCall or Radio Check packet (in which you would hear the all well known MDC sound twice) then a PTT packet ...

mancow

Database Admin
That's why I set ours up with POST Ptt. It's bad enough as it is with people speaking before keying and all you get is "4".

N_Jay said:
It is at the end to minimize the delay and clipping of the voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.