What exactly is talkaround?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA1CRZ

I heard a firefighter on a local town fire frequency tell the guy he was trying to hear to go to talkaround. I guess he heard him better because he acknowledged hearing him better on the same frequency. (even though I never heard the other guy)

The frequency involved was 154.085

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Talk around means that you are not going through the repeater. The most common way to do this is to program a channel with transmit and receive on the repeater output frequency. This way the mobile or portable does not transmit on the input to the repeater thus they are talking around the repeater.

mikeydcg2003

From what i can gather, Talkaround is a frequency that everyone in a TRS or even simplex and repeated systems have. More or less it's a Simplex frequncy so it can't go very far so you would have to be within a mile or 2 most likely to pick it up. I know some of them are known as Talkaround or Citywide in some instances.

Last edited:

n2mdk

Talkaround is generally a simplex frequency used for units to talk directly to one another.

WA1CRZ

n4voxgill said:
Talk around means that you are not going through the repeater. The most common way to do this is to program a channel with transmit and receive on the repeater output frequency. This way the mobile or portable does not transmit on the input to the repeater thus they are talking around the repeater.
guess i can assume that the one guy i was able to hear was still on the repeater. thanks

rescue128

yeah, talkaround is a simplex freq. you dont want to worry about if you are hitting the repeater if you are in a basement fire....

N

N_Jay

Or one was a mobile and the other was a portable.

About 90% of the time the term talk-around implies the use of the repeater output for simplex.

It was about 99% but with trunked systems it is getting slightly more common to set up a separate simplex channel (and calling it talk-around).

jonny290

I'm not even seeing a true simplex channel any more - just a talkgroup on the local Moto II system.

Actually, our locals sometimes use the Drug Task Force talkgroup for TA. Freaks me out, because I have an alert set on there, and it blows up whenever somebody gets their buddy to bring some Taco Bell to his 20.

w0fg

On a GE/MA-COM MR-K portable at least, programming the Talkaround option automatically uses the receive frequency (the repeater output) of the channel pair for simplex. The term may be used elsewhere in a different sense, however.

ecps92

Talk-around or T/A

As many has stated, it is typically:

1.) a Simplex channel
2.) The Simplex or output of the standard Repeater pair.

However, there are many agencies that have implemented REPEATER or for those trunked systems a channel or Talk group for:

1.) Talkaround
2.) Car-Car
3.) Chit-Chat

All the same thing, just different. If could even be a Fireground channel used for Talk-Around as an Administrative function.

What city/town and Frequency may help in the explaination.

WA1CRZ said:
I heard a firefighter on a local town fire frequency tell the guy he was trying to hear to go to talkaround. I guess he heard him better because he acknowledged hearing him better on the same frequency. (even though I never heard the other guy)

The frequency involved was 154.085

SCPD

QRT
Also has been/ can refer to a frequency that is not in the systems normal line up.. can refer to a freq usually designated or used for local gov't use ( water works, street crews etc) That the PD or FD has access to also. or any of the national mutual aid fire & LEA freqs now available
Paul

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.