NACS and TalkGroups on P25 Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

com501

Anyone know of a scanner out there that can accept/program NACS and/or Talkgroup IDs in P25 mode? Conversely, is there one made yet that will decode and display that information?

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
PSR-500 for NAC, I don't get what you are talking about for the talkdgroup thing. All digital scanners when they get on a digital TG, they show DC, for Digital channel, instead of VC for voice channel on analog TGs. You can tell the difference between digital and analog audio, especially on a scanner.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Scanfan, I think you meant DG for digital talkgroup, but I got what you were saying.

The PSR-500 works great for NAC, and the 600 will have it too.

mam1081

Feed Provider
THe PSR-500 is the only scanner that will display/decode/squelch on NAC codes.

If you're talking about conventional channel TGID's on P25, there aren't any scanners that do that yet. If you're talking about trunking TGID's on a trunked system, there are several scanners out that will do that - the PSR-500, BCD996T, BCD396, PRO-96 etc...

Maybe if you let us know what you're trying to do we can help!

northzone

Premium Subscriber
com501 said:
Anyone know of a scanner out there that can accept/program NACS and/or Talkgroup IDs in P25 mode? Conversely, is there one made yet that will decode and display that information?

I think what he is asking is decoding "talkgroups" on conventional P25 (non-trunked). Yes, P25 conventional channels use NACs and talkgroups. But there is not a scanner yet that will decode the talkgroups, the PSR-500 will decode NACs/

com501

northzone said:
I think what he is asking is decoding "talkgroups" on conventional P25 (non-trunked). Yes, P25 conventional channels use NACs and talkgroups. But there is not a scanner yet that will decode the talkgroups, the PSR-500 will decode NACs/

That is correct. Short of lugging around my R2670 it would be nice to have a scanner that does decode talkgroups in addition to the NACs.

I will take a look at the scanner mentioned. Most agencies use the default0001 anyway for the TG. Any that I specifically know of, I can program my XTS for anyway.

Thanks!

mam1081

Feed Provider
If you have the right NAC in your XTS, I think you can set it up to display whichever talkgroup they are using. I used to set up TGID 1 - 15 and then a TGID 65535 (All Talk) and have those in my ASTRO TG list. When the radio RX's a transmission, it will put the TGID used across the screen for a brief time.

provoice

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For now, the only way to monitor conventional P25 talkgroups (selectively) is via a real radio. Fortunately Motorola allows for "RX only" programming on conventional and you don't require any silly proprietary system-key files to program the radio. Go nuts.

You can have a real Motorola ASTRO portable for cheaper than a new digital scanner, if you shop around on eBay. Prices have really dropped. Just make sure you find one with recent firmware, (DSP 08.xx.xx) and the DSP firmware revision is either I or N. If you see A or M (ex.: A08.03.03) stay away, as it will not receive P25, no matter how much you hack the codeplug. A and M revisions do not include the IMBE codec in the firmware build.

Status
Not open for further replies.