Scanner Audio Vs. Motorola/HAM Radio Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebires

Why do my Motorola and HAM radios (Kenwood, Yaesu, etc.) have better sound quality than my scanner? They sound more deeper and rich, than the tin sound coming from my 796.

I've hooked up everything from basic Radio Shack speakers to Motorola speakers, and it doesn't change it. I was told I could solder a resistor over one of the leads, but I didn't understand this point.

I noticed the older Bearcat scanners (BC 250, 220) and Radio Shack scanners had this deep sound. Was it the thick plastic cabinets?

Anyone know the answer?

mancow

Database Admin
More powerful audio amps.

Larger speakers

Audio processing on many models

Housings that provide better audio response

...stuff like that

ohiodesperado

Some manufactures put resistors in the line of the headphone jack of their equipment limiting the sound output. My suggestion would be to get an amplified speaker. To take it a step further, you could use a mixer and a small audio amp and bookshelf speakers if you are using this at home. Th reason for the mixer is you can connect multiple radios to it and listen to them all through the same setup and have gain controls on each of them individually and also be able to fade them to the left and right channels, depending on the mixer board.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

Mancow has touched on the reason but receivers vary widely depending on the application and the mode of transmission. In other words it's a world of complex variables.

"I've hooked up everything from basic Radio Shack speakers to Motorola speakers, and it doesn't change it."

Of course not, you only get out of a speaker what you put into it.

Ohio also has only part of the equation, there is usually a series resistor in the headphone output but not the external speaker. That means plug the speaker into the proper jack. One thing you do NOT want to do is run the output through what amounts to home entertainment audio systems or computer speakers unless the transmission is high fidelity to begin with.

Normal voice comms not only restrict the audio for clarity but the stuff on a scanner often carries PL tones and other things you do not want to hear. Professional equipment filters it out and some scanners likewise but most do not and the last thing you want is that annoying hum in the background. Stick with your Moto speakers, they're designed for the task and the rest is up to the receiver.

"Deep rich sound" takes a back seat to communications intelligibility if you want to hear what's going on. Leave the hi fi stuff for broadcast listening and those wonderful AM hams filling the airwaves with "angel music".

Keith, when you upgrade your license and get on HF you might discover those annoying "wideband sideband" operators who have that same attitude toward audio and change your opinion right quick. No need to elaborate, just listen or try to anyway and you'll see what I mean. Then compare what you hear to the "yay-emmers" between 3870 and 3900 and you'll wonder why there are idiots who can't grasp the concept of matching audio to the mode. No don't wonder, it's the difference between audio engineers and broadcast engineers or at least that's how it is here between Boston and Baltimore. Sorry if I left out Pencilwhania. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.