BCT-15 vs. BC780XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin390

Could someone tell me which of these is the better scanner? The 780 has got to be about 7 years old or older but I see people still getting $200.00 for a second hand one. I think I paid $240.00 new for my BCT-15 about 2 monhs ago. I never owned a BC780 but I did own a 785 and didn't care for it much. I think the BCT-15 is a great scanner once you get it going. I was just wondering what people thought............Ray

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Can't comment directly on the exact models but I do have a 780 and a BR330T (sort of the hand-held version of the BCT-15). I guess I like them both for different reasons, and together they make a great team. If I had to choose one the 330T would certainly win for me, but the 780 is a great scanner. I do believe the 780 is NOT rebanding compatible so if the affected systems of rebanding are in use in your area, the 780 will be out of luck.

Rather than asking which is better, I guess the better question would be, "why not have both?"

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't know why the price has held up for the 780XLT, but it has. Still, the BCT15 is a better scanner. It has far more features and is rebandable, or at least should be if rebanding is ever finished.

The 780 was a break through scanner, but I wouldn't buy one when for a few dollars more I could get a BCT15.

Gary

n4yek

My opinion, the 780 was and is still great. The display readout was what made this a
very popular scanner, along with the Mil-air reception. I chose it just because of the
display itself, the 785 was less popular due to the display change, they made it less
appealing in my outlook on it.
The BCT 15 is what we are all pretty much going to replace our old 780 with, maily because
it has set standards we all wanted to see in the display once again.
This is my opinion on the two.

N9JIG

Sheriff
kevin390 said:
Could someone tell me which of these is the better scanner? The 780 has got to be about 7 years old or older but I see people still getting $200.00 for a second hand one. I think I paid $240.00 new for my BCT-15 about 2 monhs ago. I never owned a BC780 but I did own a 785 and didn't care for it much. I think the BCT-15 is a great scanner once you get it going. I was just wondering what people thought............Ray

I have several of both and like them both. The 780 is a scanner icon like the Icom R7000 and RS Pro2004, it really changed the business dramatically.

The BC15 was nowhere near the groundbreaking radio the BC780 was, it was more of a little brother to the BCD996.

While the BC15 does everything the 780 does and a lot more, it is quite different in operation and programming than the 780. If you can handle that then the BC15 is really the way to go.

I still have a couple of my 780's, I use them mostly for fire and rail monitoring as well as some aircraft stuff. The 780 seems to be better in the MilAir band than the BC15 but that is not that important for me right now. The CloseCall and Fire Toneout features are the main things I use on my BC15's.

Status
Not open for further replies.