ScanRec Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

What's are the best settings to set to get the best possible recorded audio? What format, attributes ?

CLTX11

It all depends on what volume, computer etc you are using. My scanrec is set at.

8,000smp rate
8 bit stereo
Data compressed
Squelch delay at 1000
and my squelch is set at 9%

Change some things, record and find what best suits you. If you need, write down what you have tried so you know what is best.

Remember, when recording, the scanners volume is what it is based from. You can have the computer volume all the way down and it will still record. Try not to have the scanner blaring.

DickH

CLTX11 said:
8,000smp rate
8 bit stereo
Data compressed
Squelch delay at 1000
and my squelch is set at 9%

I hope you don't mind my jumping in here.
All those items you have listed seem to be the defaults except your squelch level of 9%
Mine is set at 5% and works OK.

Because the final .WAV files are so large, I tried GSM 6.10 8,000 kHz, Mono 1kb/sec.
It seems to sound OK and the file size is much smaller. 2 Sec. used 2MB of disk space at the default setting. With the GSM 6.10 setting (whatever that means), 2 sec. used only 0.24 MB and it sounds fine. It's only voice so quality is not very important.

But I have to set it every time. Do you know how to change the default settings?
I can't find any info. about these and other settings and what they do.

Thanks,
Dick

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The attached file explains some of the settings, especially the FAQ at the bottom. Regarding compression, I don't use it. The hard drive has plenty of room and file size is not an issue for me.

Last edited:

CLTX11

DickH said:
I hope you don't mind my jumping in here.
All those items you have listed seem to be the defaults except your squelch level of 9%
Mine is set at 5% and works OK.

Because the final .WAV files are so large, I tried GSM 6.10 8,000 kHz, Mono 1kb/sec.
It seems to sound OK and the file size is much smaller. 2 Sec. used 2MB of disk space at the default setting. With the GSM 6.10 setting (whatever that means), 2 sec. used only 0.24 MB and it sounds fine. It's only voice so quality is not very important.

But I have to set it every time. Do you know how to change the default settings?
I can't find any info. about these and other settings and what they do.

Thanks,
Dick

Yes they are the default. It works great for me, I havent really messed with to much since default works out.

Thank pro92b, I will have to check that out.

WP4MZR

No need for stereo unless you are recording two feeds at the same time(using one feed on left channel and the other on the right one). If you are recording from one scanner only, mono is the setting you need, since that's what is comming out of phones, ext spk or recording jack.

I prefer using the 32K sampling mono at 16 bit with mp3 as the compression. This gives me a good quality sound in a small enough file to email my friends and to stay below the 10MB attachment restrictions.

Also, by putting .mp3 as the file extension(instead of the .wav) we can play the files on mp3 players that dont support .wav

DickH

WP4MZR said:
No need for stereo unless you are recording two feeds at the same time ...
I prefer using the 32K sampling mono at 16 bit with mp3 as the compression. ...

No one was discussing stereo.

Here is the FAQ about MP3:
Q: Can I record to .MP3 files?
A: No. Even though the compressors show MP3 in the list, you still are
going to record to a wav files. It's possible there are .WAV to .MP3
converters available as shareware or freeware.

WP4MZR

There was a "8 bit stereo" mentioned above.

You should be able to by recording as mp3 compression and then changing the saved file's extension to .mp3.

DickH

WP4MZR said:
There was a "8 bit stereo" mentioned above.
You should be able to by recording as mp3 compression and then changing the saved file's extension to .mp3.

Yup. I missed that "8 bit stereo", but that doesn't apply to scanners, anyway.
I'll have to try your MP3 method. There is a free program that can change formats. I've only tried it once, but it worked well. It's called GoldWave.

xpawel15x

The transmitions recorded are blaring much louder than the original volume. What should I do other than keep the volume really low on my scanner?

DickH

xpawel15x said:
The transmitions recorded are blaring much louder than the original volume. What should I do other than keep the volume really low on my scanner?

If you're using the MIC input on your PC, change it to LINE IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.