Bottom-of-the-line GPS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Well, it looks like GPS's will be under lots of trees this year, the prices, especially on Black Friday really plummeted to the point where I saw several at < $100. If anyone purchased one of these < $100 units would you be kind enough to report on how well it is working out. thanx

DickH

bwhite said:
Well, it looks like GPS's will be under lots of trees this year, the prices, especially on Black Friday really plummeted to the point where I saw several at < $100. If anyone purchased one of these < $100 units would you be kind enough to report on how well it is working out. thanx

I just bought a map for $3.95 that works great.

lgentle

My wife was thinking of getting me one for Christmas also. I asked her if she REALLY wanted to spent almost $400. I have most of our states counties ADC maps. They work great! There's also Google Maps which works just as well.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Now if the US routinely produced maps like the British Ordenance Survey maps, I'd agree.

I like my GPS, especially when traveling. It is nice to know where I am and how far I have left to go. The other nicety is when I hit a detour (or is that miss a turn) and the GPS gives me a reroute.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
That was my thought until I used these for the last 6 months and it keep you and you spouse from arguing about who mis-read what.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
We bought 2 of the Maxx Digital PN3000's. They are back up to normal prices at Office Depot Now $199.99, they were on sale for black friday at 99.00 after rebate(limit one per household, but they told us to purchase them seperatly and we could still get the rebates)

Overall, today was the first time that I was able to use it, it has a ver nice 3.5" colored screen and aslo comes with a pen to tap the scree and it slides into the unit itself. You can also use your finger too(which I prefer)

As far as it getting me to where I needed to go it done a very nice job, aquired the signal almost immediatly. Unit comes with a 1 Gig SD Card(flash memory) and has a built in MP3 player in it too for those of you that like that, and also a picture viewer too.

On the Highway, the speed that was listed on the GPS matched the speed on the speedometer of my truck. You can turn the 2( male and female) voice off or you can have it update you.

Overall It is a very nice unit and for the price it could not be better.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Wow, nice purchase.
Amazes me when I/we actually get what we pay for or more.
I guess the other foot will drop when you want to buy map updates.
I'm trying to get difinitive word from AAA that they will update the Magellean 4040's
maps as a "free part of the service". A real plus since I've seen the updates range
from $60 to $160.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
We recently purchased two Garmin C330 Streetpilots. I bought my wife hers at $248 due to the fact her job now requires travel once a month to other store locations, then I bought myself one when they dropped the price to $178.. On black Friday they were $128.. and if I'd had people that needed them I'd have bought more.

It's a very nice system, not top of the line, but a definite upgrade from my tired old eMap...I'd recommend this one as a good starter GPS for anyone..

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Good stuff.
I'm curious what "isn't there" or "isn't working" on the lower end models that would be on "the big (more expensive) boys", so far sounds like "no problems".

MaxMan1986

LEH said:
I like my GPS, especially when traveling. It is nice to know where I am and how far I have left to go. The other nicety is when I hit a detour (or is that miss a turn) and the GPS gives me a reroute.

Agreed! Usually when I take long trips, I get directions from elsewhere, but I keep my GPS handy in case I mess up.

N4JNW

n9mxq said:
We recently purchased two Garmin C330 Streetpilots. I bought my wife hers at $248 due to the fact her job now requires travel once a month to other store locations, then I bought myself one when they dropped the price to $178.. On black Friday they were $128.. and if I'd had people that needed them I'd have bought more.

It's a very nice system, not top of the line, but a definite upgrade from my tired old eMap...I'd recommend this one as a good starter GPS for anyone..

I have the C330 as well and I really like it. I thought about buying the other, lower priced Garmin, (can't remember the model number), but I liked the bigger display of the C330. I don't regret spending the extra money for it. It's a real nice unit, and the directions and ETA is dead on the money.

For those of you who think the price is a bit steep, just remember the last time you got REALLY lost. There have been times I would have paid $250 just to have got OUT of a place where I was. The GPS has paid for itself the first couple times I used it. I'll never travel without mine.

SLWilson

Last year...

bwhite said:
Got my Magellan Roadmate 3000T for Christmas last year. It works great! It was a little pricey, but, if you look at Amazon.com or other sites, you'll fine TOP END units for bargain prices!

I just ordered one for my sister. She has to travel the eastern seaboard up and down from Ohio to Baltimore to Virginia and south from there....She's used mine and it hasn't steered her wrong yet!

Steve/KB8FAR :D

geoff5093

I bought the TomTom One LE from Best Buy for $125 or so, it's the best GPS i've ever used. I love the built in battery which saves me when I turn the car off for a few minutes, and the free map updates and ability to correct the map yourself is a huge plus.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Free map updates?
Wow. I called the big providers last summer to see what updates cost and how they get imported and rec'ed prices from $50 up.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
The laptop method is nice and very versitile from what I hear but not necessarily the favorite of your front seat passenger.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
I purchased the NAVIGON 2100T from Staples on BF for $88.00 using a $20off$100.00 coupon card I had from my last invoice. And this unit is awesome cause it also includes free Lifetime Traffic built-in. All I had to do was to call an 800 number to activate the service into my 2100T.

I also have the Mio c310x (modified to run Mio Map/Tom Tom 6) that I also purchased last year on Black Friday from Staples and has always works like a champ. But it looks like now I will only be using the 2100T mainly for the Live Traffic.

I would recommend this unit to anyone who loves portable GPS devices.

Attachments

• navigon_2100.jpg
    navigon_2100.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.