How to tell if digital or analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotto38

Is there any way that I can tell if a site is digital or analog? I am thinking about scanners, and would like to know if it would be cost effective to get an analog or digital one. I have been looking atRadio Shack and Uniden. Price of 499.95 sems kinda high, but then as I said, am new to this stuff.
Thanks .

I live in northwest Ohio I know that OSP is digital, and not sure if the sheriff is not. THe city where I live is analog, as is most of the fire and rescue.

Last edited:

windchaser

check out database for your location, that will tell you what is going on in your area. read the forums,check wiki out and dont be in a rush it will save you time and money in the long run. windchaser usmm ret.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You might just wanna buy yourself a nice inexpensive analog scanner to start with.. That might be quite enough for your needs anyways.. I recommend the Pro-82.

rhutch

I wouldn't recomend anything with out at least knowing where he wants to use it, it could very well be there are very little analog signals worth listening to in his area.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps posting something in the forum for your state might be a good idea. Then you can get advice from people in your area as to what you might need for monitoring your area.

n4yek

If your are around Lucas County, you might want to consider a digital scanner. Most of the county is going digital (APCO 25). I know it is expensive, but you might find it more useful to you than just a basic analog scanner.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The simple solution is don't waste money, look at an investment in the future, one that will last. A digital equipped trunking scanner is that investment because sooner or later what was analog will be digital and much will be trunked. It won't happen overnight but pretty much guaranteed during the expected lifetime of the scanner.

hoser147

I would have to agree with Warren, in the long run its not that much. Right now RS website has a sale on the Digitals. Looking at some retro adds for the 70s this week. I remember buying a few scanners back then thinking 2 to 3 hundred was a lot of money. For the features and the technology the prices now days are right in line with the times. For Ohio I would go Digital. Good Scannin H:)ser

Status
Not open for further replies.