Windows Vista and Scanner Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mess_85_1

Okay,

I'm looking at getting a new computer for my "shack". I have yet to have seen or played with anything VISTA related. My concerns are compatability with my current set ups. I frequently use ARC15 and ARC396/996 to program and control my digital scanners. Are there any issues with doing that? Or would I be better off getting one built with windows XP Pro. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

windchaser

and i just got a hp lap top with vista. o well thats the way life goes some days. windchaser usmm ret.

mikeydcg2003

Being a Computer Tech, I recommend XP all the way. Vista has so many unresolved issues and the software has been tested on xp and it is known to work the best on it. Most of the big box companies such as HP, Compaq, Gateway and Dell it's getting harder to get xp boxes.. Build your own if you can or have a small outlet that builds them do it for you. You will get a quality product and you will have someone other than a best buy geek to fix your pc if it dies.

brandon

Database Admin
All of those programs work with Vista. You may have to tweak them to run as "Administrator" since UAC can be a PITA but they do run.

Many people say bad things about the OS but if you set it up properly it runs well. Create a custom Vista CD using vLite and you are able to remove a lot of the bloat from it. After doing so, Vista runs extremely well on my 2 year old laptop.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You can still buy brand new computers with XP. If you already purchased a new computer with Vista, Microsoft is supposed to have an exchange program where you can send in your Vista, and get XP.

Vista has been a big failure, and Microsoft is finally seeing the light.

mess_85_1

nope, havent bought yet...still looking at all of the options. and trying to figure out how much pc i actually need, might need, and just plain want. lol

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
rescue128 said:
has anyone ever ran windows on a mac to program a scanner?

Yup. I run XP on my MacBook Pro via Parallels. Then I can run Win96 and program my Pro96 on the go. I have had NO problems with Win96 on the Mac.

GO MAC!

mikeydcg2003

XP should be supported for another 5 years at least. Service Pack 3 is on the horizon for XP. Not sure what all it includes but i know it will automatically update you to Exploiter 7.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
mikeydcg2003 said:
XP should be supported for another 5 years at least. Service Pack 3 is on the horizon for XP. Not sure what all it includes but i know it will automatically update you to Exploiter 7.

There have been numerous articles claiming that XP SP3 gives most systems a noticeable increase in speed!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Build your own if you can or have a small outlet that builds them do it for you. You will get a quality product and you will have someone other than a Best Buy geek to fix your PC if it dies."

Now that's the most sound advice in this entire thread! Let me add to that there is even a cheaper and more efficient way to go, if you're not a geek find a geek. Mine knows my habits and requirements (being a close friend) so working together we built my beast and periodically upgrade it with hardware and software as needed. The price is right, everything at cost and labor when needed is free, we even have a remote helpdesk link in case I get stuck. Not only can he control my computer remotely but download from his server and install whatever I may need.

Yes, angels walk among us and mine agrees, Pista is the worst pig since Mistake Edition. Then there is Zune, Microsoft's lame answer to iTunes... EEECCCHHH! Since Steve himself took the bull by the horns Apple has turned around while Gates' renegades are wallowing in poop. Will somebody please tell him he's got the wrong end of the bull?

"Service Pack 3 is on the horizon for XP. Not sure what all it includes but i know it will automatically update you to Exploiter 7."

It's really quite simple, a service pack is a compilation of all the upgrades the year before in one lump sum. Maybe you forgot that "Exploiter 7" was a forced upgrade to SP2 a few months ago so if you haven't updated it'll get rammed down your throat when you install SP3.

If all else fails there's always Linux. (;->)

mpcarlino

kb2vxa said:
If all else fails there's always Linux. (;->)

At which point you're stuck trying to get your windows-based [scanner] programs running in wine or cedega. I use Linux (of various flavors) almost exclusively, but ARC250/396 won't save .mem files at all. Strangely enough, I'm able to control scanners from ARC without a problem, but I can't save anything. If someone else has had better luck, please do let me know.

While I'll agree that all the "Vista is the devil" buzz is a little more than is called for, given the choice, I always recommend XP over Vista when in the line of IT duty. As with almost every OS in history, Vista is currently going through puberty, and it's a gamble to use it on any production system exclusively. While I think this release has been rockier than most, all these compatibility/bug issues are strongly reminiscent of XP's release six years ago. Give it time, but for now, XP is a safer choice. Linux is safer still ;)

But back to the point of the thread: I've run ARC250/396 and Win95 on Vista with no problems to speak of. If you're new computer comes strapped with Vista, you shouldn't have trouble running your scanner-related applications. Of course, my experience is limited to ARC software and Win95, but you should be set.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I'm running ARC396 right now with Vista without any problems. The only issue i had was when installing the driver for the USB to Serial converter i had to run it in "XP SP2 compatibility" mode. Works great for me.

sirsmiley

actually dell just brought out several XP workstations...you have to dig on their website or phone about them but they definitely carry them....they are doing away with Vista for their business class pcs as well...nobody is buying the systems bundled with vista

avgas

I have installed Win 96 and the driver for the Radio Shack cable on my Laptop with Vista and have had no problems with it at all.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Hello, I am a nerd. :lol:

If you have any trouble with Vista you could try a virtual machine running in Vista. What that means is that you can run XP inside Vista using a program called a virtual machine. The OS that runs in this virtual machine is called the guest OS and the OS that you installed this virtual machine to is called the host.

VirtualBox is an open source program that will accomplish this task, however you need a XP install disk so that you can install it to the guest Virtual machine. You can run many operating systems in a virtual machine.

For example: I run XP in a virtual machine with a copy of XP pro. I installed Teamspeak to the Guest OS. Now the host is also running Teamspeak. The host's audio goes to the right speakers while the guets OS in the virtual machine goes to the left.

I can use DSL (Damn Small Linux), Vista Ultimate, XP, whatever OS all in XP itself. :) Now Microsoft I guess doesn't permit Vista running in a virtual machine. However, I have a certain "haxxed" version that's made OEM. :lol:

The primary goal of a virtual machine is for server applications or testing purposes. I use it for those tasks as well. Also, I can load an .ISO directly from the virtual machine. So you actually don't even need to install the OS if you build an .ISO image of the operating system.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw some nerd terminology out there. Hope you understand. :)

avgas.. Nice name. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.