mobile vs handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
gosh i'd hate to make another "vs" thread but im really curious on this one, in general, from my experience, a base scanner will get better reception then a handheld, will a mobile scanner do the same?? also get better reception then a handheld.... (in general)

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
jakegday said:
gosh i'd hate to make another "vs" thread but im really curious on this one, in general, from my experience, a base scanner will get better reception then a handheld, will a mobile scanner do the same?? also get better reception then a handheld.... (in general)

Yes, because of the generally better and higher antenna.

DiGiTaLD

Well, it really depends on the antenna system, regardless of what kind of radio you have it connected to. I'll use my two primary scanners for instance - the PRO-96 and the PRO-2096. Essentially the same radio but in a different package. I use a comparable antenna system for 800 MHz (really the only thing I listen to on either) for both radios.

The 96 has an RS 800 MHz rubber duck, and the 2096 has a GRE 90° angle 800 MHz rubber duck. Both receive comparably. The difference comes in sheilding and audio quality. I experience much better shielding from local RFI with my 2096 than with my 96. My cell phone barely gets into the 2096 from less than a foot away, whereas it is clearly audible through the 96's speaker from several feet away. The 2096 also has a larger cabinet and larger speaker, so the sound quality is much better, more like that of a commercial radio than a cheap scanner. Audio on the 96 is good, but on the 2096 its great!

jakegday

Banned
i have a mag mount antenna with a BNC connector mounted on my trunk,
so that should perform pretty much the same weather its hooked up to a handheld or a moble???
the reason i ask is cuz i purchased this low band antenna, mainly to listen to the nebraska state patrol, i tuned it precisly for the range i want to hear, and i still cant pick them up very well in town, i was wondering how they do it in town? is the RX on their radios way better then the common scanners?

Last edited:

43g70

Yes their radios have better receivers on them compared to your scanner. That is mainly due to they are only one listening to 30-50 mhz while your scanner does 30 to 870+ mhz.

The NSP have Motorola X9000 low bands in their cars.

kb2vxa

Banned
A base scanner? What's a base scanner but a mobile with a wall wart? Now do you want to rephrase the question?

Now here's the answer, as opposed to what? Oh, that was another question. Your question any way you put it is too vague, too generic for any kind of satisfactory answer. As for rephrasing the question, try getting down to makes and models and stand back for yet another flood of opinions.

Once again people, the only one who can answer your question is yourself. You know your requirements and to meet them you just have to do a bit of shopping. This is not Radio Shack, at least when you ask pimple puss (ex McDonald's burger flipper) you can see the clueless expression on his face as he tries to tune in the local cops on the bar code scanner. (;->)

"gosh i'd hate to make another "vs" thread..."

Then why the heck did you do it?!
Son, why did you set the dog on fire?
Ah dunnooo...

Where's N_Jay? N-JAYYYY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.