New York State Department of Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessy77

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I just got a new Uniden BC246 for my Boyfriend for XMAS> I had it come programmed for Suffolk County. I am going to try and enter Nassau County myself.

Do any of you know where on this site I would find the frequencies for the New York State Department of Transportation (DOT)???

Any help for this NEWBIE would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Michelle :)

bessy77

Premium Subscriber
Thank You@

Thank you UFEMTFF - I would have NEVER figured that out!

My boyfriend is a trucker, it just came in and I turned it on. I had the place preprogram it with our county but wasn't sure if they put DOT on there (my boyfriend is a trucker). So I turned the bugger on and I hear snow... like how do I know they preprogrammed it right. What are the 2 nobbies on the top for ?

I know the knob on the top right ..if you click through it changes all the different channels.. what channel and how do I mess with the other knobbie to make sure i hear something before I wrap this scanner up and put a big old Red Bow on it.

Thank you in advance Scanner GURUs!!!

:)

n2mdk

The knob closer to the antenna controls both the volume and squelch. If your hearing noise (snow/static) you need to close the squelch, when you do that the radio should start to scan, you will see it on the display.
The only easy way to tell if it's programmed correctly is listen to it. There is a way to download the contents of the scanner and letting the forum see how it's programmed, you can also use the software to program the scanner.
One thing you really need to know is having a scanner in a motor vehicle in NY is illegal (Exception for Amateur license holders, maybe), if your careful the chances og getting caught are min. with a handheld.

bessy77

Premium Subscriber
its illegale?!??!

OHH I didn't know.

Thank you for the tips.. very very helpful..

Why is it illegal?

I am sorry if this is a dumb question

bessy77

Premium Subscriber
I have one more question..To add frequencies, would it be easier to buy software to do it versus trying to manually program it myself? If so, what software could I buy that you mentioned? How much is it?

Thanks!

michelle - AKA Scanner Newbie

n2mdk

Why is it illegal, because the legislature decided it should be, there are many reasons that don't always make sense. The main reason is so criminals don't use them during the commission of a criminal act, amongst others.
The software is handy to have the one I like best for the 246 is ARC246 from http://www.butel.nl/ it's $40 it is buggy in my estimation but it does let you use this sites Database to program the scanner directly through the software. To use that feature you need to get a premium subscription to RadioReference. That costs $7.50 for 90 days.

hoser147

Bessy Im sure that you could find help in your state forum as well. There maybe someone right in your area that could help you if you are trying to set it up to be able to use right away at Christmas. Have a Merry Christmas and Im sure your boyfriend will.................Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.