Private ambulance companies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

99chevytahoe

I am not going to say which one, but while listening to a private ambulance company, i heard the give a name, social security number, birth date, and credit card number over the radio. It is good for the patient that i am not an identity thief!

Artjirbal1950

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I agree, being careless with customer credit card information could get a company is serious legal trouble.. What are they thinking? It's not that hard to get a secure radio channel, or at least a cell phone for sending the credit card numbers...

hoser147

If Identity thieves used scanners alot more people would have problems. The info has been out there for years. Yep CC numbers and all. Some PDs still put a persons whole info out over the air. With the onset of digital systems it should be a thing of the past.............Hoser

DiGiTaLD

In addition to opening the door for identity theft, they are also committing a HIPAA violation by giving out patient information like that over the air. Idiots!

99chevytahoe

i was thinking the cc numbers would have been for hospital billing....and i know that they have cell phones, because every now and then the dispatcher says "call on nextel"

KB1JHU

It's amazing what goes out over the air sometimes. I heard a home heating oil delivery co. give a credit card number and customer name out over the air and when giving an assignment to a driver, they told him the check was under the welcome mat.

garys

Premium Subscriber
DiGiTaLD said:
In addition to opening the door for identity theft, they are also committing a HIPAA violation by giving out patient information like that over the air. Idiots!

No, they are not. HIPAA does not apply to radio traffic. There is in fact a specific exemption in the regulations. Credit card information is certainly not covered by HIPAA.

Which is not to say that it's not a stupid thing to do. Cell phone, land line, or even fax are more secure means.

Status
Not open for further replies.