Armored Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

snikliw87

Does anybody know what type of radios armored trucks (money trucks) use? Do they even use any, and are they encrypted? I suppose they would be for safety...

masonb

I Think here in Calgary they are in the MiKe Iden Network and you cannot do anything about that.

hoser147

I often wondered the same thing. There are usually visible antenna's on them. You can rest assured that there is GPS, some kind of alarm system and probably some sort of 2way radio with like LEARN or another statewide PD radio system. Hoser

Bentley

I worked for an armored car co here in NJ...we used regular cell phones. We didn't really need radios, as we were not radio dispatched, there are regular pick-ups and drop-off's. Everything is on a schedule so we rarely had to contact one another or the office for any reason.

Just out of curiosity....why are you looking for this information?? Are you planning something we should know about??? lol Don't forget to give us our take for keeping our mouths shut! lol :lol:

Hoser: You'd be suprised...the company I worked for was a pretty large and well known co. , no gps, no radio, no communication with the police, no alarm, no nothing. There was an antenna on our truck, but not attached to anything. As far as GPS...there was a buried gps system, like lojack, but nothing that we would use. I was very suprised to see all the lacks in security (technology) . One thing, there is ALWAYS one armed person that stays with the truck at all times. If one person goes into a store for a pickup, the driver will ALWAYS stay inside the truck. If they are on a meal break, they have to go one at a time. But other than that....thats about it!

Keep in mind, I am only talking about the company that I worked for, I have no idea what other companies do or what security measures they take.

Last edited:

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
I haven't figured out about here, I have their freqs programmed, but haven't had time to sit down and scan them to see if they're open or not.

Bentley

Awww okay...I'm still waiting for the day that I'm driving behind one and they hit a huge bump in the road and the back doors swing open and bags fall out all over the road! Thats my lotto ticket (I probably have a better chance of that happening than actually hitting the lotto anyways) !

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
When I worked for a service here we used a trunking system we could never get into, and 460 between the courier and truck.

Not like they'd have much to say in the first place. We were pretty much alone once we left the barn.

snikliw87

Bentley said:
Awww okay...I'm still waiting for the day that I'm driving behind one and they hit a huge bump in the road and the back doors swing open and bags fall out all over the road! Thats my lotto ticket (I probably have a better chance of that happening than actually hitting the lotto anyways) !

I heard about that happening... I guess they forgot to latch the back door and money was falling out on the highway. People were stopping to pick it up and finally the police showed up to clean it up, and also asked the public to return any money that they had pickued up.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Bentley said:
We didn't really need radios, as we were not radio dispatched, there are regular pick-ups and drop-off's. Everything is on a schedule so we rarely had to contact one another or the office for any reason.
In the Los Angeles area Brinks Inc operated on 44.20 for a number of years, but as you say, there was very little traffic on their frequency. What I did hear, though, was always in the clear and not terribly cryptic, which surprised me.

I had a co-worker who worked part-time for them, and he told me that the when they were out of the truck the messengers (what they called the guys who went into the banks, stores, etc) wore small transmitters on some unknown frequency that transmitted continuously so the driver could hear whatever was going on. I see that Brinks has 115 licenses on 467.8125, 2 watts FM voice, across the country, including in my lil rural county. I've tried unobtrusively scanning/searching around there when I've been near a truck, but never heard a peep. They've got other freqs as well, most or all licensed to either BRINKS INCORPORATED or BRINK'S INCORPORATED.

In California, armored cars are allowed by the Vehicle Code § 27003 to be equipped with sirens "which may be used while resisting armed robbery. At all other times, the siren shall not be sounded." Use of the siren doesn't make them "emergency vehicles," so they still have to obey all traffic laws. I guess it's sort of like a ringing burglar alarm, just an attention-getter.

Last edited:

ibagli

snikliw87 said:
I heard about that happening... I guess they forgot to latch the back door and money was falling out on the highway. People were stopping to pick it up and finally the police showed up to clean it up, and also asked the public to return any money that they had pickued up.

I'd give it back...minus interest. ;)

Bentley

snikliw87 said:

Ahhh so dreams really can come true!!! Instead of ambulance chasers , we should start a band of armored car chasers! :lol:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Awww okay...I'm still waiting for the day that I'm driving behind one and they hit a huge bump in the road and the back doors swing open and bags fall out all over the road!"

With your luck it would be CDC loaded with quarters from arcade machines. Now if you could pick them up from a certain location I know you'd be $4M richer. (;->)

Viper43

MtnBiker2005 said:
There is one armored cars company in San Diego. They are on a local LTR system. They talk all the time on it!

Two use and LTR system here..... but who needs armoured cars nowadays since cash isn't used as much..... well, except maybe at WalMart.....

V

hoser147

You would think they would have more equipment onboard. Around here there are a couple of antennas on them. They seem to do a lot of bank stuff and some retail. My X was a bank manager they always came in got there stuff done and left when I was there. Down in Southwest Florida they use helicopters, dont know if it because of bridges or traffic or just the safest way..............Hoser

snikliw87

hoser147 said:
You would think they would have more equipment onboard. Around here there are a couple of antennas on them. They seem to do a lot of bank stuff and some retail. My X was a bank manager they always came in got there stuff done and left when I was there. Down in Southwest Florida they use helicopters, dont know if it because of bridges or traffic or just the safest way..............Hoser

They must have to land on top of parked cars, right? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.