RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 10:40 AM

Question Post Removed !

Post removed.

Last edited by Hooterville; 12-22-2007 at 2:04 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't think there are any commercially available scanners covering 2.4 GHZ and if there were, you would probably have to deal with digital transmissions and possible encryption.
Ham Radio Since 1975 - VE for ARRL, W5YI & WCARS - GROL
Old 12-22-2007, 2:28 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

You can hear the handset to base on some models .

Why do I feel I am abetting a stalker ?
Old 12-22-2007, 3:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

NOTE: Didn't mean to "hijack" this thread but since the OP removed his post, I thought it would be a good time to raise awareness about this subject

This is a good question to bring up, mainly to raise awareness that there's so many phones out there advertised as digital operating in the 2.4GHz and even 5.8GHz band but you can still pick them up in the lower bands in analog.

I recently was near a brand new Uniden 5.8GHz phone that suddenly started coming through in analog around 921MHz on my scanner. I looked in the manual and nowhere in there it says it's even digital or that it strictly operates in the 5.8 GHz band only.

So for those that don't know, make sure the phone you buy uses some sort of digital Spread Spectrum technology i.e. DSSS or FHSS, otherwise it's likely that it's dual or even triple bander using analog (and different bands) in one direction or the other.

The latest technology now is those 1.9GHz DECT 6.0 phones. Supposedly they're better in that they operate in a less crowded band and use pure digital and even heard it uses encryption but I haven't research it yet to know for sure.

EDIT: Here's some more info about DECT: http://www.dect.org/content.aspx?id=18

It seems that it does in fact uses encryption and TDMA. It uses frequencies between the 1921-1929MHz range.

EDIT: Here's some more info from Wikipedia about DECT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...communications

It says the encryption used is "weak" but I would think something is better than nothing and it might be more work than its worth in most cases to try and "hack" the algorithm......

Here's an excerpt:

" [DECT] provides encryption services with the DECT Standard Cipher (DSC). The encryption is fairly weak, using a 35-bit initialization vector and encrypting the voice stream with 64-bit encryption."

EDIT: Here's another source actually stating that DECT encryption is in fact "very secure":

http://uswww03.gnnetcom.com/public/U...002%200506.pdf

Last edited by kikito; 12-22-2007 at 4:24 PM..
Old 12-22-2007, 3:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Believe it or not this is common!
I have a brand new GE model# 2785 2.4ghz. phone and from research
I found that the base unit transmits on 2.4ghz. but the handset does indeed transmit on 900mhz.!
Spread spectrum seems to be the only way to be sure,for sure!
N9ZAS.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2007, 8:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yeah, I got a surprise the other day regarding this. I brought my handheld with me to a buddies apartment on the 2nd floor in a house. As soon as I walked in I picked up a phone conversation and was curious about it, because it was on a lower freq nowhere near 900 or anything. We listened for a bit and he said "holy crap, that's the people downstairs!". He said he had been down there before and their phones are "new". Pretty weird that I would be able to hear them on such a low freq like that.
Old 05-19-2010, 8:41 PM

Do you know the frequencies for picking up the phones? I am intrested in trying to get them on my old Uniden BC 200 XLT. Would this be possible?
Uniden BC200XLT- http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=4584
Old 05-19-2010, 9:14 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

If the phone is partially in analog and you have a scanner with Close Call technology, just get your scanner near it and away you go!

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Old 05-20-2010, 1:10 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

That scanner only goes to 956Mhz, 2.4Ghz is 2400Mhz.

Not going to work.

Justin
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2010, 6:36 AM

Sitting at my computer, monitoring my collection of Federal freqs as I usually do, my scanner stopped on one of my programmed frequencies (150 - 170 mhz range), and I was surprised to hear an 'operator' speaking, immediately followed by music (on hold).

Shortly afterward, the operator came back on, followed by my wife's voice. I was shocked, as she was talking on a 900 mhz unit, which outputs an unintelligible audio in the 900 band. Both sides of conversation were audible.

I guess I need to think about a new phone.

Amp
Old 05-20-2010, 5:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm interested in this question from the other point of view - which cordless phone(as they all seem to be cordless anymore) can NOT be scanned for sure? Is there such a thing?
Old 05-20-2010, 6:06 PM
Database Admin

Go with a DECT 6.0
Old 07-06-2012, 9:39 AM

Default dect 6

The TDMA Freq for DECT is 1920 - 1930

search this article out on Google :

Sniffing DECT Wireless Devices
By
Larry Pesce

There is DECT 6.0 sniffers n listeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikito View Post
NOTE: Didn't mean to "hijack" this thread but since the OP removed his post, I thought it would be a good time to raise awareness about this subject

This is a good question to bring up, mainly to raise awareness that there's so many phones out there advertised as digital operating in the 2.4GHz and even 5.8GHz band but you can still pick them up in the lower bands in analog.

I recently was near a brand new Uniden 5.8GHz phone that suddenly started coming through in analog around 921MHz on my scanner. I looked in the manual and nowhere in there it says it's even digital or that it strictly operates in the 5.8 GHz band only.

So for those that don't know, make sure the phone you buy uses some sort of digital Spread Spectrum technology i.e. DSSS or FHSS, otherwise it's likely that it's dual or even triple bander using analog (and different bands) in one direction or the other.

The latest technology now is those 1.9GHz DECT 6.0 phones. Supposedly they're better in that they operate in a less crowded band and use pure digital and even heard it uses encryption but I haven't research it yet to know for sure.

EDIT: Here's some more info about DECT: http://www.dect.org/content.aspx?id=18

It seems that it does in fact uses encryption and TDMA. It uses frequencies between the 1921-1929MHz range.

EDIT: Here's some more info from Wikipedia about DECT: Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says the encryption used is "weak" but I would think something is better than nothing and it might be more work than its worth in most cases to try and "hack" the algorithm......

Here's an excerpt:

" [DECT] provides encryption services with the DECT Standard Cipher (DSC). The encryption is fairly weak, using a 35-bit initialization vector and encrypting the voice stream with 64-bit encryption."

EDIT: Here's another source actually stating that DECT encryption is in fact "very secure":

Page not found..
Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread and adding where to find the informative article.