Scanners made for PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFCCooper

I have a question! Do they make Like scanners that you can plug inside your pc? If they do what are they and how much do they cost? I am getting a laptop for Christmas and I would like to put one in it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget there are dozens and dozens of web sites out there that (re)broadcast transmissions received from scanners.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I use a Icom PCR1000 for many years now. I have good luck with it plus there is a trunking software called TRUNKPCR and I use the program with excellent results.

msradell

GreatLakes said:
I don't see any advantage to buying a radio from them that attaches to a computer over buying one of the high end stand alone scanners from Uniden, Radio Shack or one of the other scanner manufactures. With these computer base units you're stuck taking the computer with you wherever you go if you want to use the scanner and the cost is higher than a stand alone scanner even if you include all the software and tables required to program them. In addition the Standalone scanners are very portable are even handheld in many cases.

Am I missing something with the computer ones or are they just for a niche market and not for general users?

PFCCooper

lol ok well I was just wondering. I have a handheld scanner I just was curious about the laptop deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.