recording audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc104a

I have a 796D which has record-out jack as well as a speaker jack.
I also have a tape recorder with a PTT type switch that turns on the recorder.
To record radio transmissions from the tape-out jack I know that the 'rec' function must be enabled for the bank/channel/tg, whatever.
How do I enable the recorder (using PTT) only when traffic is received? I do not desire to use a voice activated switch to turn on the recorder, only record traffic on specific channels and not have dead space on my tape. As is supposed to be, audio is only sent to the recorder when on a 'rec' channel but the tape is running all the time.
Thanks,
Rick

DickH

rc104a said:
I have a 796D which has record-out jack as well as a speaker jack.
I also have a tape recorder with a PTT type switch that turns on the recorder.
To record radio transmissions from the tape-out jack I know that the 'rec' function must be enabled for the bank/channel/tg, whatever.
How do I enable the recorder (using PTT) only when traffic is received? I do not desire to use a voice activated switch to turn on the recorder, only record traffic on specific channels and not have dead space on my tape. As is supposed to be, audio is only sent to the recorder when on a 'rec' channel but the tape is running all the time.
Thanks, Rick

Download a free program called SCANNER RECORDER and feed the audio into your computer. It only records when someone talks and you will not miss the first part of a word that happens when you use a normal voice-actuated recorder.

rc104a

DickH said:
Download a free program called SCANNER RECORDER and feed the audio into your computer. It only records when someone talks and you will not miss the first part of a word that happens when you use a normal voice-actuated recorder.

Thanks Dick, I do not have a voice activated recorder and I do not wish to record to a computer plus there is no computer near the radio.

I am looking for a device to buy or build that will sense current on the specified channels then the current would activate a relay that would activate my recorder. My old BC 300 had such a circuit but I guess Uniden does not make this option in their scanners anymore. If I could find a schematic for the 796D I could probably find a place to tap the circuit.

Rick

br0adband

Or you could just get a voice activated recorder. Even the cheap digital ones by Olympus and some other companies nowadays offer that feature. The added benefit to most of the digital ones is that the files can be offloaded to a computer as regular Windows Media or straight out WAV files for saving or post-processing, and the filenames typically reflect the time/date of capture.

Honestly I don't know a single scanner buff or Ham anymore that uses analog recording equipment for any reason at all. No more tape decks, reel to reel, etc - it's all done with computers now, even old laptops powered with a 386/486 can do simplistic audio recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.