Alpha Tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVDA

Im looking to purchase 2 different radios one has Alpha tags the other does not...

My question is what are Alpha Tags...someone said with Alpha tags its easier to figure out who is speaking because you can read the name...do the names just show up or do i have to program the name?

Example if frequency is ####.##### and its a Police frequency will it say Department Name Police?

Or once i put the frequency in i have to name it Department Name Police

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can more easily determine who is speaking.
You program them in. I do not have the tags, wish I did.
I don't know if you can use them without software, even if you can, get software,
it is much easier to key that way. You maybe able to obtain a file for the software
you purchase via this site or others and just need to modify a few things to suit you.
The tags can either be for a freq or in the trunked environment, a talkgroup.
Chances are the PD or FD will have numerous freqs or talkgroups, you be naming them something like ABC County Fire-Main Dispatch, ABC County Fire-Fireground A, ABC County Fire-Fireground B and ABC County Police-Precinct A, ABC County Police-Precinct B, etc.

elk2370bruce

Yes, the alpha tags are very useful. After you enter in the frequency, you will have to type in the alpha tag for that department. Its well worth the time and effort and will enhance your scanning enjoyment.

hoser147

I would have to agree with Elk the alpha tags are a very nice feature. Even after scanning for many years and knowing the frequency numbers it is still a nice feature. It can be incorrect if you dont have PL tones inplace as you may get other agencies using the same freq. What 2 scanners are you looking at? Just curious.................Hoser

n2mdk

If you look in the database you will see a lot of the listings have the names of the frequencies and the TGIDs. If you use the right software it picks these up and loads them like the numerical frequencies and TGIDs

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I only use scanners with alphatags now, but I could use a non-tagged scanner for conventional use as I do remember most of the freqs anyway. Listening to a large trunked system without alphatags? No way, waaay too hard. I remember listening to the Horry County SC TRS when the first trunktracker came out and it was not too bad, but I didn't have a choice.

Jose_Pointero

Eh, I can do with or without 'em. They're not really a "must have" feature for me. I can memorize most of the stuff I listen to...like the police/fire/local air frequencies. As for trunking ID's, well I guess it depends on where you live. I only monitor about 12 ID's on our local trunk and I had them memorized in a month.

I do wish I had the tags for some of the obscure air freqs I have programmed though. I know all the locals but every now and then one pops on and I'm like "what is this and why did I program it?" and have to google it to find out.

It also came in handy knowing the freqs when I worked at RS because we would have quite a few people coming in regularly asking us to program their scanners :)

Bentley

Alpha Tags? OHHH YEAAAA!!!

I will NEVER buy another scanner with out alpha tags. It's just way to much for most people to remember, especially if you are monitoring while driving. Just a quick glance is all you need with alpha tags. They take all the guess work out of scanning. I vote a 100% YES ... it should def. impact your decision on which scanner to buy.

Good luck n keep us posted!

br0adband

I can't for the life of me comprehend why someone would want to look at frequencies forever knowing it's much easier for most of us to see exactly what we're looking at without the need to really think about it. Aside from trunk-tracking itself, having the ability to 'tag' a channel with alphanumeric data has to rank up there as one of the best things to happen to our hobby since it began.

Especially with a proper trunk-tracking scanner, would you really want to look at the vast numbers of talkgroup IDs in a given system, or would you prefer to glance quickly at a scanner display and see "LVPD Tactical" instead of 42800 or something similar?

Alphatags for the win, most definitely.

kb2vxa

Banned
How will the scanner know who is on the frequency in your area unless you tell it? (;->)

Thank goodness for alpha, I have always recognized familiarity but with all that I listen to I sometimes have to look at the display. Back in "the good old days" when all it had was a row of lamps as channel indicators it was easy to know what I was hearing without looking but all I had to remember were 16 channels, every one FBI.

Oh, if you want to get confused just try tuning them in on a radio dial. Scanner? What's a scanner?

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I remember Warren, you knew many of them by the familiar voices and the content of the conversation. You are right of course you (or someone) has to tell it what to tag. I believe there are files in the database that users can pull down that are already tagged, that may be what some of the references elude to.

NYRHKY94

I would have to agree with most that alpha tags are very useful, if not mandatory if you're monitoring larger and/or multiple systems. It should be noted however, that software can provide a nice alpha tag option for scanners without this capability, i.e. Pro-2052, BC898T etc.

kb2vxa

Banned
"You are right of course..."

Rule #1; The boss is never wrong.
Rule #2; The boss isn't always right, refer to rule #1.

Still with tongue firmly planted in cheek;
"I believe there are files in the database that users can pull down that are already tagged, that may be what some of the references elude to."

I agree, sometimes they're elusive. They tend to hide where people never think of looking and have to be reminded when they post questions already answered.

Seriously, the database being a Wiki it has it's flaws like frequency and talk group reassignments not being updated. Well, those are the chances you take nothing being perfect but it's the best you can get none the less, there's far worse out there some being years old. BTW, the word you're looking for is allude. (;->)

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Warren, no matter how anyone agrees with you or tries to stroke you in a positive way there is always a spicey comeback. Glad to see some things remain a constant in our world.

SCPD

QRT
I live in an a rural area where there are only two trunked systems to listen to and I need alphanumerics to follow the communications. One has 42 talkgroups, of which only 20 are used often, and is operated by the Mammoth Mountain Ski Area. The other is Southern California Edison's where I can hear about 30 used on a regular basis. I have one radio without alphanumerics that I keep next to the bed for times when I hear sirens or want to wake up listening to the choreography of departments getting the ski area ready after a significant snowstorm with the ski patrol firing off the avalanche guns. It is really tough to remember all those talkgroups by number as they flash up very rapidly. I have a chart on top of the scanner but I can't look things up quickly enough to keep up with the action ("let's see was that the snow removal people or the snow grooming people getting that announcement"). I don't listen to the ski area every day because I only want the info from it when there is a storm or when I see lots of people at the hospital and know it is a high injury day. So any memorization is quickly forgotten. Additionally the numbers are very similar (it is a Type I system) with 000-03 getting confused with 001-03 and 201-01 with 200-10.

The conventional systems in the area are few enough that I often listen to my main scanner in the upstairs office through a wall mounted speaker in my garage/workshop. I can tell which agency is speaking just by listening to dispatcher's voices and the sound of their systems, each has a signature background sound and audio characteristics. I'm only listening to 15 agencies maximum so it is easy when you combine 26 years in the same county. But I live in a very sparsely populated area by most person's standards with only 30,000 people living in a 220 x 75 mile two county area. Even at that I prefer alphanumerics. This reflects normal day to day traffic, but when wildfires occur or significant weather comes in I"m also listening to business frequencies and command/tactical frequencies. I sure need alphanumerics for those times.

All my frequently used radios have alphanumerics including my ham radios. When traveling, which is some of my most enjoyable scanning, alphanumerics are essential. I do most of my programming ahead of time in the winter and use the laptop to enter new programs into the low capacity scanners and have files and files of programs made up for the specific areas I travel to. Without alphanumerics I would be back to carrying 5" x 7" notebooks with the programs written in pencil and having to look at them frequently.

Software, alphanumerics, scanners with thousands of channels, and the systems similar to GRE's V files are necessary to keep up with the incredible growth in radio systems. 30 years ago you could monitor the L.A. Sheriff Department with 10-20 channels in a scanner and memorizing the frequencies was not so difficult as they generally only had two places past the decimal, such as 39.82. Now with most frequencies having four places, e.g. 483.7125 and 483.7875, it isn't as easy for the brain to recognize the differences. Now the L.A. Sheriff's system has around 50 to keep track of, if not more.

You also should keep in mind that other members of your household might be interested in listening to what is going on, sometimes when you are not home to interpret using your vast memory, and alphanumerics allow them to understand what they are listening to.

A radio without alphanumerics might be cheaper in the store, but is more expensive after you get out the door due to the conveniences lost over the life of the product.

slicerwizard

kb2vxa said:
Seriously, the database being a Wiki it has it's flaws like frequency and talk group reassignments not being updated. Well, those are the chances you take nothing being perfect but it's the best you can get none the less, there's far worse out there some being years old. BTW, the word you're looking for is allude.
And the words you're looking for are its and nonetheless. You're also looking for proper punctuation and sentence structure.

kb2vxa

Banned
"I'll never buy another scanner that doesn't have alpha tags. 'Nuff said."

You mean having said that we'll never hear from you again?

"Warren, no matter how anyone agrees with you or tries to stroke you in a positive way there is always a spicy comeback."

That's GOTTA be me, not the other dull and boring Warren.

"Glad to see some things remain a constant in our world."

Gee, it's nice to know SOMEONE appreciates me.

"And the words you're looking for are its and nonetheless. You're also looking for proper punctuation and sentence structure."

Just try to convince Fire Fox, the checker in Outlook seems to be a bit better educated than either of us. Yeah I know what I'm looking for but still haven't found it. Ordinarily I would segue into a song by U2 but you probably have heard it already so off I go...

This little pedant went to market,
this little pedant stayed home.
And THIS little pedant went WEE WEE WEE all the way home!

By strange coincidence those are my initials as if you really care. (;->)

wwhitby

Feed Provider
kb2vxa said:
"I'll never buy another scanner that doesn't have alpha tags. 'Nuff said."

You mean having said that we'll never hear from you again?

No, just that nothing more needs to be said by on this topic. After buying my first scanner with alpha tags, I never wanted to buy another without them.

That's GOTTA be me, not the other dull and boring Warren.

Dull? Boring? I guess you don't know me at all........

Status
Not open for further replies.