Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlermy

Is there an antenna for inddoor use for a digital scanner from Radio Shack for a PRO-2096?
I live in downtown Baltimore, MD.
I have a mobile magnet antenna and it does not do any good as far as bringing in A.A. Co.
which I would like to scan.

Thanks

LEH

Premium Subscriber
You'll need aright angle adapter for the 2096, but Hoser is right, the RS 800 antenna is difficult to beat. The RS SKU is 278-116.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you have access to one - these work GREAT !!

ant23cm3.gif

http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT23.html

hoser147

Ive also heard and read good reviews on the antenna that ScanDaBands recommended, but Ive never had a chance to check it out. Slyster talks quite highly of it...........Hoser

n2mdk

I have antennas up the wazoo, but on my base/mobile I use that odd looking Max systems 80MHz 1/4 wave ground plane. It works better than anything else really and looks cool as well.

NoRide

Out of all the antennas listed in my signature, the best all around mounted indoor to date is the RS 800. 155/855Mhz range being key but also monitor 33/46Mhz though not the best at times. The RS 800 with 6' of quad shield RG6 coax (Wallyworld) mounted in the window works the best and is the most consistant. Gave my parents the same setup with a BCT-15 for xmas (Dad is very happy) and does better but that's due to their location compared to mine. Not sure how this works with a handheld such as a Pro-97as I never really tried it.

Did notice with the link provided that the Max Systems 800 is "not usable in other frequency ranges." While I doubt this, how does it do in ranges other than designed for? Ever do a side by side comparison to two identicle units and setups at the same time?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
schlermy said:
Is there an antenna for inddoor use for a digital scanner from Radio Shack for a PRO-2096?
I have a mobile magnet antenna and it does not do any good as far as bringing in A.A. Co.

Thanks

If you are in the northern part of the city, it's going to be hard to hear AA county. In effect the city is between you and some of the nearest county transmitters. An indoor antenna is not likely to cut it in this instance - likely a small Yagi mounted outside would.

I work in Woodlawn, and even there, the AA county system on my mobile is kinda choppy, and I need to be up on one of the hills to hear it well. Assuming you're around the Falls Road or Towson area, the digital system in Harford county is much more likely to be a better target for an indoor antenna then AA.

C'mon down to the Maryland forum for more.

73s Mike

SCPD

QRT
Metal surface

schlermy said:

Thanks

Good luck on your antenna search. The thing with a mag mount, it MUST be on a metal surface. On a filing cabinet, or on top of the fridge, or something like that. Mag mounts just will not work well without a ground plane under them. So if you just got it propped up in a window or something, not stuck to a metal shelf or whatever, your reception is being greatly attenuated.

N1BHH

Got an air conditioner? Put your mag mount on that. The other suggestions will work, too. Refrigerators, steel shelves, anything metal and that mag mount will do super. I have a couple mag mounts outside on my A/C and they work great, much better than inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.