Why own a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocop80

I was asked a question by my girlfriend who purcahsed me my BCT15 and she wanted to know what was so great about having a scanner and how come I was so excited when I got one for Christmas. My answer was that I love to know what's going on in my neighborhood. I am in the process of becoming a cop and I wanted to get the lingo down pack and I simply enjoy the electronic aspect of programming a new toy. I am very curious now what as to what other people who enjoy the hobby so much have to say. Please let me know why you all listen to your scanner and what do you monitor the most

Sownman

Very practical reasons. When I'm standing out in the cold and my train is 5 minutes late I like to be able to hear where it is so I can know it'll be 3 more minutes, or 40.

When S.Calif. is loaded with wildfires again I want to know where they are. The TV info is worse than useless. They sometimes show pictures that are hours old and fail to remove the "LIVE" graphic. and they are forever obsessed with pictures of Malibu even if thats the least active fire scene.

When I head down the freeway for the 60 minute trip to Mom's house I want up to the minute traffic event info rather than the fiction usually reported by local AM radio, so I can alter my route as needed.

The non practical part is that I get some enjoyment from evesdropping on "reality" reality shows even if they don't affect me.

Steve

CAPTLPOL1

I would keep the scanner hobby out of the application process unless asked. May make you look to much like a whacker.

hoser147

CAPTLPOL1 is right. most of us share the same reasons as you for the hobby. Alot have been involved in public safety or still are. Some just enjoy the RF hobby such as Ham operators. I as many here started in the younger days where you had a tunable radio to monitor. Public safety, aircraft and on and on. Many still have their first scanner that they bought when they came out. Its a great hobby and you have a very good girlfriend there to share in your hobby. Im sure that if you go into law enforcement that she will monitor and see what you are getting into on the job. She must have done her homework on it as she bought you a very nice scanner. Good Scannin H:)ser

ybbmadysu

I agree with Sownman. I was watching a car chase on tv, I could hear all the police & CHP comm on mutual aid about 30sec b4 the image came on tv. Huge delay.
When Areo is above me, I can tune in to our local dispatch or tac and listen in to all the excitement.

Both of my cousins are in the explorer program. They used to have scanners but have now been issued radios by the department.
Good Luck!

Brad

Turbo68

I started out more than 32 years ago in the hobby when my dad bought me a hand held radios that tuned in the airbands and never looked back since and i enjoy the hobby so much that now i do spend most of mytime monitoring the airbands and sometimes other intresting things to listen.

Regards Lino.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I got started 35 or so years ago. My then girl friend's parents had a tuneable VHF receiver and listened to the Tucson PD and Pima County SO. I found the calls interesting and like Lino, I have never regretted it.

Having a scanner going has let me know the status of flights at airports, kept me from sitting in traffic behind major accidents, listen to activity on the flight line (I am retired AF and worked in aircraft maintenance), and (this was a toughy) listen to the medics try to save my father's life.

brandon

Database Admin
Since the big TV stations only consider LA and Orange County to be 'news worthy', I turn on my scanner for news happening in the Inland Empire. It's also interesting to hear all the car chases, shootings and fires. We listen for the exact same reason people listen to AM/FM radio or watch TV...for news and entertainment.

Turbo68

The only thing i dislike in the radio hobby is the wiring and cables because it doesnt matter how neat you try to keep it will always look messy.I remember when my dad use to be a taxi driver and i will go with him to the airport and take my radio and letting him know when the plane is arriving.

Regards Lino(Cranbourne East Australia)

madnachos

Its funny...people always ask me why I enjoy scanners as a hobby...they say they 'just dont get it'...but they are the 1st people on the phone to me when some major incident breaks out ;-)

As for why I got into the hobby: Radio has always just fascinated me for some reason. I could never afford the hardware when I was a kid so now that I am old and have some spare cash I am all over it.

elk2370bruce

What's wrong with just being nosey about what's going on? More importantly, I prefer to actively monitor adjacent jurisdictions and get to know what's moving into my town before the dispatch finally does come in. In addition, mutual aid needs are good to know about before the request comes in. Just good planning and interesting to listen to.

Catdriver

I got mine mostly to monitor air traffic around the local small town airports where I live. But I have been doing this an fiddling with radios since I was a kid in the 50's. My first radio was a crystal set I got from a hobby shop for 2 or 3 dollars an put together so I could listen to the local radio stations.

Ron

fireSAR

madnachos said:
Its funny...people always ask me why I enjoy scanners as a hobby...they say they 'just dont get it'...but they are the 1st people on the phone to me when some major incident breaks out ;-)

I get the same thing, its funny when they do call, "I tell them it will cost ya."

Turbo68

I guess the reason we all get asked because a lot of people do not undestand the hobby but then you get some people that are intrested will always ask qestions like on sunday when i went plane spotting at night the car park was full and people ask me what the controllers and pilots are talking about and you will always have the advantage because you know where they are coming from and what time there departing or landing.

Regards Lino.

xpawel15x

My parents always ask me that question. WHY??!? DO YOU LISTEN, Not like you're getting paid for it..bla bla bla

I just tell them "it's an interesting hobby, and I learned a lot from it" or something.

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of reasons--I am nosy for one thing--LOL!(1) Really, I like to know what is going on not only where I live but where I travel to as well (2) I am a private investigator/volunteer firefighter so I need it in that respect (3) I am also a freelance photographer so I need it for breaking news (4) I enjoy it.

Be safe

Andrew33453

I really dont know i got my first scanner 3 years ago when i got into the fire service so that i could here more than what my pager was giving me for stuff thats around my area etc, its always good to be prepared, that and i still listen to it because theres the County i live in some EMS Depts are on a high band frequencie and my pager is low band its really just so that i can here whats going on in my area. Dont like a lot of extra chatter. So i basically monitor the County Fire/EMS frequencies and the County Sheriffs so i no whats going on.

WA1CRZ

she bought you a scanner for Christmas??? .... hmmmmmmmm

better pick out a nice ring for Valentines day!

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I listen for a variety of reasons.

As a kid, radio just fascinated me. Still does to an extent, although I now know all the theory behind it so some of the mystery is gone... Ignorance is bliss! :) There's just something cool about pulling signals out of the air.

When I first started with scanners, it was so I could listen to the fire department. I'm a big FD fan. I was also working with the Red Cross Disaster Team, so it helped to know what was going on, but the interest continued long after I dropped the Red Cross. Of course, now I'm a frustrated FD fan - thanks to OKC going Provoice... :mad: While my small-town dept is still worth listening to, they just don't do much - and rarely have a fire!

I have a separate scanner on in the corner, with all of four channels in it - PD & FD for my small town, and the adjacent one - so I can know what's going on. Of course, the funny thing there is unless I *want* to listen, until there's a LOT of chatter I often don't even notice it is on. Guests often keep asking "what's that mean?" or "did you catch that address?" and I wasn't even aware anything was going on...

The other scanner - that is loaded with just about everything in the county, PS and ham - is my version of "radio". Sure is more enjoyable to me than what I hear on FM stations (and no commercials!), and generally more relevant than what's on talk radio. Sometimes, if I know I'm going to be in the office all day, I'll set up an icecast stream and listen over the net at the office. That can get lots of attention from others in the office!

Status
Not open for further replies.