What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMilhouse66

Someone wrote this in response to an earlier post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would keep the scanner hobby out of the application process unless asked. May make you look to much like a whacker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, there would be nothing wrong with having a scanner. I know that on TV shows and movies there have been people obsessed with Police that turn out to be whackos. I just don't think that there is any problem with that person mentioning it. I have also heard that many law enforcement officers do not "like" people with scanners. Any idea as to why? Their job is very interesting and if people want to know what's going on, so be it. To me, that reply makes it sound like anyone else not interested in scanning would look at a scanner hobbyist as a nutjob. Maybe that post just rubbed me the wrong way. Does anyone else see why it would be a bad thing for anyone to know that they are into scanning? It would be great for one to know how to work the radio even before he/she gets on the job. Maybe I just don't get it...........

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
I see nothing wrong with kistening to scanners. I have never been called on the carpet for interferring with the police, I was a news photog/assignment editor so it was also my job. As long as folk don't knowingly interefere and become a problem then I don't see one. Sometimes folks with scanners can actually do some good.

Be Safe

N1GTL

Database Admin
When I was interviewed, I was asked how I got interested in police work. I told them that I had a scanner and listened to it often and it sounded exciting and interesting. It worked for me.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well James you got lucky, you by chance were interviewed by a person with a positive attitude. Today's trend toward encryption is a good clue as to the attitude of law enforcement in general, they don't want criminals nor even the general public knowing what they're up to. Some years ago I was following the city cops looking for a suspect, I had the description and the area of search, number of officers involved, etc. When I saw him run past my location I realized they were blocks away looking in all the wrong places so I called it in to the dispatcher only to face the third degree and a lot of guff about listening on the scanner. Naturally the patrols were never informed and the suspect got away clean. My next thought was "never again" and I stuck to it, I've not even attempted to relay police information nor even mention the word "scanner" to a cop since.

So RM, haven't the movies provided you with a clue? I suppose not but I hope you understand now how the general public looks at us as nut cases and the cops fear us as a threat to their security.

JESSERABBIT

I would only indicate that scanning was one of my hobbies if it was asked specifically. Lying about it would not be a good thing. They may very well get you on the lie detector if you lied. They have been known to ask character witnesses many questions about personal traits. Who knows what those people who know you may will bring up in a conversation. Honesty is always the best policy in this situation.

mciupa

RMilhouse66 said:
that reply makes it sound like anyone else not interested in scanning would look at a scanner hobbyist as a nutjob. ...........

Those who don't scan (or understand why people would even want to) view scanner hobbyists as eavesdroppers for the most part. :(
I suppose there are some individuals that through poor judgement make themselves appear as nutjobs and sully the hobby.:evil:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While I did not put anything regarding scanners on my resume or application for my current job, I don't see that it would have hurt any. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.