DEC and HEX in scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarylheiny

I am new to digital scanning and i notice that on the database there is a HEX field and a DEC field for the talkgroups but we only enter the DEC as the talkgroup id why is this and what is the HEX field for?

n2mdk

Mainly programming commercial radios, they use the hexadecimal coding. Scanners use the Decimal or AFS codes

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Information primarily. I recall someone saying that one type of radio or software did use the HEX values. Saves some users having to convert them. That post wasn't all that long ago, so if you do a search on HEX, or check the wiki, I'm sure you'll find the answer.

I didn't bother to stick the whole thing into grey matter as I've never had to use the HEX values.

tarylheiny

Thanks that makes sense just wanted to be sure i wasnt screwing something up while programing.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
In the new GRE PSR-500 and 600 you now have the option of using HEX input and display.
PSREdit and Win500 will also convert it for you.

schlermy

Dec

n2mdk: thanx for the link however I don't understand the "press three digits to get the bank and channel number desired. How is this done?

n2mdk

To get to bank 0 channel0 8 you would press MAN 008 to get to bank 2 channel 32 you woulds press Man 232. Then hit MAN again

Status
Not open for further replies.